Sunday, June 18, 2006

"Will you still need me...


…will you still feed me, when I’m 64?”

It’s Father’s Day, North Korea is polishing up an ICBM that may or may not work, and Dan Rather’s looking for a job, or at least seeking Kenneth’s frequency in Manhattan.

So what’s important? Paul McCartney is 64! He made it!

Sir Paul shades me by about ten years, which suggests what a pup he was when my grade-school teachers were expressing alarm about the new cultural phenomenon that was creeping into America via BOAC. Every generational couple has their song; the mother of my children and I will dance to Lynrd Skynrd’s “Simple Man.” That song would not have come to fruition without the Beatles. Thank you, Sir Paul.

Coincidentally, Ron Wood of The Rolling Stones drove through a rehab center prior to bombing out onto the latest tour. He’s nearly 60, and was there when Keith Richards fell out of a tree a few weeks ago.

I am endlessly amused by the aging process. I love rock ‘n roll, and will doubtless continue irresponsibility until the day I fall out of a tree and crack my noggin. [I see a bad horse jump, like Scarlett O’Hara’s daddy, in my future.]

As a child, I was regaled with reminiscences of ladies pulling their skirts up to clear walking over horse manure in the streets. My ancestors stood in the streets with shotguns and wiped passenger pigeons into extinction. My great aunt made 104; my grandmother made 100. What marvels they saw! My own small life will never compare. To go from stepping over horseshit to walking on the moon! The blessings keep on rolling; and I would not trade my occasionally dissatisfying life for anything. I, too, have seen marvels.

Sir Paul reaches 64, and I'm a couple of years behind him. On this Father's Day, my daughter would call this "cool beans." She has a rock 'n roll dad, and can also thank Sir Paul.

How did I ever live without a computer that lets me express this emotion to the world at the press of a button?

Mick, Ron, c’mon. We all love rock ‘n roll; I still get the head moving when the beat’s right. I have a horribly expensive set of Ludwig drums and Zildjian cymbals stashed in the basement. I still love ya, still need ya, and will still feed ya, even though you’re 64.

7 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Rock on, Possum!
What was it Jethro Tull (or Ian Anderson) said about being "too old to rock and roll but too young to die"? Well, I'm thinking Mick and company are proving that quite wrong!

Happy Daddy's Day to you!!

PS-I got a new twelve guage pump-yeehah!

June 18, 2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Possum,

I too am a shade less than 10 years Sir Paul's junior. And my daughter too says "cool beans". Does your daughter also call you "parental unit", or a "rent" for short?

I just don't know about the kids these days... (startin' to sound now like my "rents").

My daughter came home today for Father's Day. We had dinner and then she left before you know it. Nice, but way too short. Here's hoping your Father's Day was a good one.

Warmest wishes...

June 18, 2006 5:42 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Happy Father's Day to all you "old" rockers. All too soon the only Rockin' is done in a Rockin' chair.So Rock On. Shake the Hizzy!!

June 18, 2006 7:30 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I got the hoped-for phone call today. I'm still someone's favorite "parental unit". My kids are still too cool; if I never did anything else right, I managed one good thing. My ferocious youngsters are a match for anything this insane world can throw at them.

June 18, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

I was listening to The Who on my Harley's stereo tonight...so much for hoping to die before they get old.

But speaking of The Beatles; George was my fave. John was pretty cool, too. As for Ringo, the movie "Caveman" is awesome. "Sir" Paul is a freakin' jerk, by every account I've heard...

June 18, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I learned a lot about playing the drums from listening to Ringo. Never flashy, he knows that the spaces between the notes are as important as what's actually played.

Ringo, John Bonham, and Ginger Baker were great influences on my young self. I never got to be a rock star, but I became a fair hand with a drum kit. Being a side man carries a lot of lessons on observation.

June 19, 2006 1:16 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

Ah, old age and rock and roll. I'm 14 years less than Paul, never (I mean it) saw the thrill of the Beatles, they had some good tunes but something like "Breakfast with the Bealtes" that commands an hour of airtime on a Sunday morning doesn't do it for me.
That being said, my wife and I do have tickets to CSN&Y in July and Steely Dan in August, still love to go to concerts, hope I never lose that desire!
Have you seen the price of tickets now though? (age showing loud and clear)
I hear Barbara Streisand is asking $750 for decent seats. Are you kidding me?
Happy belated fathers day to all. Odd one on my end, helped older daughter move to her own home Saturday and got to visit my younger one in jail Sunday. Now that's a fathers day weekend unlike any other (for me).

June 19, 2006 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home