Sunday, February 04, 2007

The psychology of of Illness, Part II

Some of my Constant Readers may have guessed that I am afflicted by a chronic disease. Too many cigarettes, too much bourbon. There is a price to be paid. All that marijuana and LSD may have figured into the equation, too. There is little I didn't do in search of "enlightenment".

I don't do that any longer. I don't know a dependable pot dealer who isn't a "criminal'; I don't want to to hang out with crooked-types, i. e. better people than Snoop Dog. I go without, and depend upon a prescription for Marinol™. I'd rather have a pot purveyor. Constant readers who have cancer have some idea of the conflict that ensues. I can't--and won't obtain illegal drugs. I do not think that marijuana should not be an illegal drug. Society gangs up against me. Abusers of the medical marijuana system ruin it for us who need it.

lllegal or not, pot has a valid application as an anti-nauseant and appetite stimulant. Others think that getting "high" is a worse form of behavior than being sick to death with some form of cancerous affliction.

Facing various forms of surgery, I will never be offered the marijuana alternative. Instead, they will first try Demerol, which is a hallucenogenic death sentence to my allergic self. Then, they will dose me with morphine. (That stuff is cool, never had withdrawal symptoms, and it beats hell out of an aspirin.) I have the major and minor forms of cutting coming up; but I'll be fine if they don't croak me outright.

I will not go quietly. Never wanted to, never will. Surgeons wield knives, I perk up and listen.

I have two daughters who have never seen the knife. I get it twice within a week.

I will be back, with more personal political commentary. Blogs are personal commentaries on their best days; my frequency of publication is now dictated by my health. To paraphrase Rock Hudson: "If I'd known I would have lived this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

8 Comments:

Blogger MathMom said...

My prayers are with you, Possum. Be brave.

Can you take your computer to the hospital and blog from there? Enquiring Minds Want To Know!

February 04, 2007 11:30 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Thank you for the prayers. After a lifetime of dissipation, I need them.

The local hospital knows me all too well, and won't let me within arm's reach of a computer while I'm "visiting". They prefer me stoned on morphine and staring blankly at the TV. That's not so much different from my routine at home, except for the morphine.

In its pure form, morphine is truly not addictive. William Burroughs was right when he wrote "Junkie."

On the other hand, more sophisticated pain-relievers like Demerol™ turn me into a raving werewolf. I finally found a drug I can say "no" to. The croakers say the odds are 1-10,000, but Tylenol™ will kill me, also.

February 05, 2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Hang in there Possum! We're all pulling for you.

February 05, 2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I was dead from the moment I started this blog.

February 05, 2007 1:48 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Prayin' for ya good buddy. May God's healing hand be upon you. May God give you strength. May God give you peace. May God remove your pain. May God renew both your body and your soul.

February 05, 2007 11:31 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

Possum, long time no see and when I get back you tell me about having someone "practice" medicine on you.
Sorry to hear it's needed but wishing you all the best!

February 06, 2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I break a sweat every time I see "Junior, M.D." on a street sign.

Doctors have saved my life, so I don't argue with them. When they start snapping knives around the kitchen, I perk up and listen. That half-conscious mantra of "do what you need to do" only goes so far.

February 06, 2007 12:55 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Add my prayers to the bunch. Thinking of you.

February 08, 2007 7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home