Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A shameful admission

I have a shameful admission to make.

In addition to voting for Jimmy Carter in 1976, in 1988 I told a liberal friend that Al Gore might make a decent president once he got some of the bark knocked off himself by the DC political system. Let’s call that the last misguided vestige of liberal thought in a misspent life.

Al Gore has since proven to be as crazy as an outhouse rat, and that’s putting it kindly and family-friendly. I rather like global warming; if it means fewer of my dollars go to Iran for heating oil.

I don’t want John McCain or Barack Obama as my president. Even my liberal friends like Red Liz despise Hillary, so she may be pretty much DOA. I don’t much mind Mitt Romney’s Mormon faith, or Mayor Giuliani’s liberal viewpoints on certain issues. Obama needs some more bark knocked off, and Senator McCain has been too badly treated through the years to earn my trust. The 2008 election is going to be very interesting, indeed.

It’s fun to sit here with the dogs at my feet and prognosticate. It’s also way too early. Early estimates put the cost of the 2008 election at a billion dollars, win, lose, or draw.

Since Libertarians aren’t yet in a position to supplant Democrats as the alternative party, I just hope we can come up a decent Conservative candidate in the next couple of years. The alternative is unthinkable.

1 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Leave us hope that the Dems do and say more stupid things, so that more folks will wise up to them by 2008...

January 04, 2007 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home