Sunday, December 03, 2006

Horses, cavalry, and missing things...


I should be physically restrained from watching the first 20 minutes of “The Horse Whisperer”. Despite reading the book, and knowing what was coming, I scared hell out of a movie house full of people when the horse encountered the 18-wheeler, because I screamed. If movies are supposed to elicit emotion, Robert Redford succeeded. I cannot watch that first few moments when the horse skids down the hill into the path of that truck. It's only a movie, but...

I have a history with horses. I was fortunate to be a client at Flag is Up Farms, the HQ of Monty Roberts, the original horse whisperer. I never used spurs on my horses again. It was always about teamwork from that point forth.

There is no point to this mention, except that I miss my horses. I am riding Cadillac in the picture, a.k.a. “Three Socks”, as a cavalry provost. I also rode an older brood mare named “Scooter”. A stumpy-legged old mare, she could run and jump with the best.

Horses have been a part of my life since my early teens. I don’t think Redford and I would ever agree on politics, but his moviemaking is superb.

It’s an old movie, recycling onto my satellite. The book is excellent, and the movie ain’t bad. I own the DVD, but if you don’t, catch “The Horse Whisperer” while you can.

1 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

I haven't ridden a horse since '98.

December 04, 2006 4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home