Sunday, November 05, 2006

I got up at 0400 for this?


Wow, gee whiz. A tyrant faces the hangman’s noose. Ramsey Clark gets thrown out of court, and Saddam is steadfast to his “Ace in the Hole” reputation.

I got out of bed at 0400 to hear this unsurprising news? This dictator had a troubled background; so have we all, and it doesn’t excuse this:

That child is dead. I don’t look forward to people counting the days until they swing me; I like the idea of passing quietly in my bed on some unspecified night. As the Bible says, some night my fool’s soul will be demanded.

I can go easy. I haven’t murdered children. Perhaps the spectacle of a mass murderer waving a holy book was worth the price of waking at 0400. There is an appellate process to pass through, but I don’t think the Iraqi people will settle for less. Saddam says he wants a firing squad, but a march to the gallows seems appropriate.

That judge looks like a tough dude. I’ve been before the bench, mostly for driving too fast. I wouldn’t want that feller passing judgment on me! I pay enough in traffic fines!

8 Comments:

Blogger Nylecoj said...

A firing squad would give him to much legitimacy, it should be done as ignobly as possible and with no fanfare.

November 05, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

I was getting ready to rant about how the wicked (like Saddam) should pay for their deeds. And then I thought about saying a prayer for justice on this earth...

But then I started thinking about my own sins, and that "cast the first stone" thing came to mind so...

God bless you Possum, and may God's blessings be upon His righteous.

(:D) Regards...

November 05, 2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Are we right to wish death upon tyrants? I always get unnerved at these death sentence proceedings, but we have a code in The Old South that I live by: "He needed killing."

One look at that child's body convinces me. I think that's his momma laying dead next to him. I may have some qualms about taking a human life, but this trumps any hesitation.

November 05, 2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Sadaam could have avoided all of this by using his pistol when he was captured. Too bad he was such a coward. Screw him!

November 05, 2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

"Ace in the Hole" didn't have the intestinal fortitude to use his pistol. He still thinks there is some kind of divine intervention that will save his life. Even Hitler ate the pistol when the time came.

I know it violates modern protocol for inmates, but can we possibly give Saddam a pistol and a single round?

I have a .40 Browning that will get the job done. If we need a smaller carry, there's a Sig Sauer that'll fit quite nicely through the food slot in Saddam's cell door.

November 05, 2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

I think the good thing that will come of Saddam Hussein being executed is that those folks who have still been afraid he might somehow come back into power can get "off the fence". That will be great for morale on our side, and lousy for same on the opposing side...a "twofer", as it were.

November 06, 2006 1:33 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

The Iraqi people will watch this on TV. They won't believe it until the deed is done. Maybe we can pack our gear and come home afterwards.

November 06, 2006 4:13 AM  
Blogger Barb said...

Watching Saddam's ,will be a huge shot in the arm for democracy in Iraq ,but if the Democrats take over ,don't be too surprised if it never happens. The other thing the Iraqis need to know is that the US isn't going to pull a Vietnam and leak out on them. That means the Republicans have to stay in power. If WE win I look for a big change in attitude from the Iraqi leaders.Back to being Mr Nice Guys.

November 06, 2006 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home