Tuesday, December 05, 2006

How Dad did it, Pt. 2

I think it was around 16 December that Adolph Hitler launched the last great offensive of the European war. The Allies thought that things would be wrapped up by Christmas, but Der Hitler had amassed tanks and troops, and had one last surprise.

Much has been made of the “Battle of the Bulge.” Hitler’s troops drove deep, and caught Allied soldiers by surprise. It was a crucial battle .

My father was born in l907. He’d be 99 years old this 15th December. He didn’t live that long. He was murdered by a serial killer in 1985. I saw an incredible statistic about how many War II veterans are lost to old age every day. If you have someone you can sit down with a video camera, or an audio recorder, do it now! There is no greater legacy than the courage of those who fought the Greatest War. They didn’t ask for it; they answered the call. Japan, intentionally or not, had pulled an act of treachery. Nazi Germany was a self-evident threat.

My father traveled the country during the Depression. He became a barber, and cut hair to put himself through Georgia Tech and learn radio technology. Those who called him,a name referred to him as a '"happy pappy”. He was an older man, caught in a younger war. He and his jeep driver, a man called “Sticher”, went ashore on D-day. They fought their way across Belgium and the Siegfried Line. They were a component of the 3d Armored Division, a unit that gets periodically mixed up with Patton’s Third Army. It was the Spearhead that drove across Belgium, not Patton’s Third Army. Patton got the glory; Dad’s unit got the heavy lifting

I wrote an earlier story detailing the events of how my father came to possess a Silver Star. He took a Panzer commander prisoner, and he and Sticher ran him through enemy lines against concentrated fire. The Panzer commander said my old man was nuts; Dad didn’t seem to think it was a big deal...

Details are available upon request; I won’t tell my dad’s tale unless asked. He charged Panzers in a jeep, and he won. At the age of 78, he was murdered by what appears to be a protected federal witness who does serial murder as a hobby. Dad was the 3d of four victims.

We never know how things are going to turn out.

Dad would be 99 years old on Dec. 12th. The odds are he wouldn’t have made that 99th birthday, but he should have had what the Bible calls “the fullness of his days”.

I do not sleep easily when the day is done. I am dreaming of the day; come back, murderous demon. I have an automatic pistol, I am waiting. I know that vengeance is cursed of The Lord, it is also impossible to stand by. It is wrong by my Christian beliefs to desire such bloodthirsty vengeance. I cannot help myself; there is no excuse for murdering my father. Bring it on I. am waiting. I am the last of Dad's family left.

I am angry that Van Susteren and her ilk cannot recommend a cold case detective. This 21 -year-old muder will never be solved. My stand against the killer is meangingless. Bring it on, I have a few hundred dollars in my wallet. Unlike my dad, I also carry a pistol.. Draw down, gutless wonder! I wait every day; I carry a pistol in advance of your heartless defiance. You killled a war hero, march on me!

Love and affection,

The Possum

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Possum,

I promise you that I will begin looking for a cold case detective in your neck of the woods. I deal with many of the Michigan variety almost daily. In fact I had two in my office half of this morning. They will be back to see me on Thursday. They owe me alot, as I provided them the info that will close the case they're on right now. You have my email, and I have yours. If I can get any action from my end, I will be in touch. I truly am sorry for what you are going through and for what your father had to endure. If I can help, I will.

Oh, and by the way, I am interested in hearing your father's story. Very interested.

And you're right, this killer needs some justice.

December 05, 2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

I am interested in hearing that story, too...

December 05, 2006 7:15 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Me three! ...(God, that sounds so childish) but it's true nonetheless.

(:D) Regards...

December 05, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Me too!

The CalGirl

December 21, 2006 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home