Monday, July 10, 2006

Matthew Broderick and the movies

What a hoot I had with my satellite last night! Matthew Broderick occasionally makes a good, serious movie, “Godzilla” is not among them. He was much better as Col. Robert Gould Shaw opposite Denzel Washington in “Glory”. I worked on that movie. I think he had a lot more fun working on “Godzilla” with Jean Reno. I can’t blame him; I too, would like a day off from the fields of the creative, and he’s a star. Broderick is an informed actor, and turns in an occasional starring role. Well, we all need day off. I had more fun riding Confederate horses against him. You died beautifully on the Savannah beach, Matthew. I wept when I saw the young commander going out to die. Morgan Freeeman's role is based on a guy named Crawley, in case you didn’t know it. He was the first African-American “can we spell black?” to win the Medal; he was shot five times including in the head during the assault on Fort Wagner, but brought back the Stars and Stripes. That earns a salute from any Confederate.

It's my country's flag, and it belongs to us depraved Southern boys as much as you Yankees. You may be "them damn Yankees" but you're my Yankees, and I'll defend you to death.


2 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Oh, STOP with the Yankee stuff!

Can't we all just be Americans?
(No hyphens, either)

But speaking of Morgan Freeman, there's a guy with his head on straight...a rare commodity in Hollyweird these days.

July 11, 2006 12:29 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Aww, Jack, we Southerners just have a lot of insecurity because we lost The War of Northern Aggression, and never quite got over it. A lot of post-war resentment might have been avoided if our cultural pride hadn't been broken down by the abuses of Reconstruction. If Lincoln had lived, things might have been dramatically different.

I agree with what you're saying about all of us just being "Americans" now. No hyphens. We're a common culture now, and we have a common cause that we'd better be addressing: the terrorist's determinination to destroy us culturally.

This post has been slightly redited for brevity, and a correction was made about Col. Shaw's name. I shouldn't write things in my sleep.

July 11, 2006 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home