Friday, January 20, 2006

Thinking for others...



All right, I'm ugly. I admit it; never really denied it. Someone got deleted from this site, not because they called me ugly, but because the adjectives used were not family-friendly. I know my looks will scare crows out of a cornfield; that doesn't include inappropriate language for kids who might wander in here. Salty language is my sole discretion at UPI, thank you.

Worse than being called ugly was having someone think for me recently. I can't do much about my looks, and my brain is pretty much ossified into whatever it's become, but I am still the master of my destiny. I think bad thoughts at times; my faith in God shakes at the occasional notion that I might be wrong. What if Ayn Rand is right, and there is nothing beyond the grave but oblivion?

I prefer to think otherwise. My entire faith is in God, and the certainty that there is something better beyond this life. I may be ugly, and the joining of my soul with God is beyond comprehension, but I do not believe that The Creator imbued me with consciousness just to snuff it out as a bad job. Even Ayn Rand, a self-avowed atheist, winked at an interviewer when asked if she believed in an afterlife. In her public proclamations, Rand always said that man is his own higher power. There is nothing more powerful than the human mind, according to her lights.

That wink, however, haunts me. She knew there was something more. I trust that there is, too. We will all solve the mystery, and find out. I refer those with cosmic questions to Blaise Pascal's "The Wager". Bet that God is real, you can't lose, even if the bet turns to oblivion. Bet against God, and lose, and you are on the wrong end of the stick.

All of that being said, let's get back to earth. There is a new link at the right: T-shirt Hell. I put the link up because someone chose to think for me the other day. I receive a sporadic newsletter from the site masters; I give their shirts as Christmas [can we still say that?] gifts. Because of the past experiences of my life, I find their irreverence and profane world view to be howlingly funny. I made the mistake of assumption: others would find that sarcastic, earthy view of life as funny as I think it to be. I forwarded the latest newsletter to a few people whom I thought might appreciate such material.

I was wrong. I was wrong to assume that others might find cute what may be personally offensive. I have offered my apologies privately on that account.

Contained in the verbatim newsletter that I sent out, there is an "unsubscribe" link. Someone did a "click trick", and unsubscribed me. Perhaps this was for the best of motives; to save me from bad influences. Perhaps it was a joke. I thank the person that did this; not because they "saved" me from anything, but because they inspired these mutterings.

While I worked in my kitchen today, I listened to Gary Cooper, Raymond Massey, and Patricia Neal in "The Fountainhead." It was one of the few scripts that Ayn Rand wrote under her own name during her tenure in Hollywood. Shortly thereafter, realizing the film community would never accept her ideas, she left to write her masterpiece, Atlas Shrugged. [You will never see this in movie form. The ideas are too intense.]

Mr. Cooper, speaking Rand's words, has a great monologue at the end of the movie. In the midst of the diatribe against collectivism and the communal mind, Cooper blurts that "no one has a claim upon my life."

To the unknown, and unsought person who clicked that "unsubscribe" link on my behalf: you have no claim upon my life. I have survived over a half-century, by accident or intelligent design. I know right from wrong, and intellectual genius from secular rubbish. If something rotting on the garbage pile of secular nonsense amuses me, that is for me to deal with, and God to adjudicate on the reaction. Thus should it be to all people. I cannot judge for others; I can scarcely judge for myself. God judges us all in the end. He has a better sense of humor than those who pretend to judge for us on this earth will admit.

Clicking an "unsubscribe" link was an insignificant act. The motivation behind it, whether annoyance factor or a moral certainty, goes deeper than that. I do not think for others, or pretend to tell them what to think. That is the territory of liberals. According to their gospel, they know what is right and wrong, good and bad, and healthy or not.

I think T-shirt Hell is funny. You may think I'm a sick puppy. I live in my mind; you don't. Please don't think for me. Check out the link if you dare; despite the ads to earn money by adding banners, I don't make a penny off the link.

19 Comments:

Blogger Nylecoj said...

Hi,
Good article. I figured I had better make a comment since I promised to do more than lurk around here. I do liek reading the site.
J

January 20, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

And usually I even like it

January 20, 2006 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum...I got your msg and the link and agree, most of those T-shirts are funnier than Hell! Some I didn't get, and the one on the 3000 soldiers was questionable. But as you state, you live in your mind and I in mine. So be it.

I can't believe someone clicked the unsubscribe link. Well, I take that back...I can believe it. However, it must have been someone you sent the msg to. With friends like that.....

Regards to good blogging. See you on Scrapple.

KCS

January 21, 2006 1:53 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I hope we don't get to 3000, and the juicer goes unclaimed.

I also hope we get the job done in Iraq. We have bigger fish to fry in Iran and North Korea.

January 21, 2006 2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great rant possum! The only thing that ticks me off is that you didn't send me the original piece (about tshirt hell) that inspired it!
I'll also wager (I'm an optomist despite what some at other sites think) that whoever clicked the link merely wanted to unsibscribe themselves and that you got sucked into it inadvertently
Antway, glad to see you up and posting, glad the chemo is going a little better!

January 21, 2006 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting article Possum, but your thinking on this is entirely wrong... :-)

More prayers are rising than you know.

January 21, 2006 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Possum, some of those shirts are funny, and some of them are just crude, imho. I agree that God does, indeed, have a sense of humor. Otherwise, he wouldn't have given us a sense of humor or the ability to laugh. Laughter is a gift, and I like to "pass it on."

January 21, 2006 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite part of the newpaper is the comics section(the only part I read ,anymore.)Some are very funny ,some leave me cold, some offend me,but I want to decide that myself.
Turn your radio on to a music station.Some songs almost make me swoon, some are annoying,others make mme angry and most Rap makes me sick. Still I want to make that decision of what I will listen to . Not my friends ,not some governor or Congressman ,not even my husband.
I found the T-shirt site very funny,with a few I would wear,but many more that I wouldn't ,tho I would laugh ,if someone else did.Yes, some were offensive,but that is why we live in a free country and the reason God gave us a Free Will.
Write on, Possum!

January 21, 2006 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've decided for myself that you are NOT ugly!

January 22, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Please, Shelly, tell me where I'm going wrong here. I have a background steeped in bad things, so I find humor in evil. It's called "laughing to keep from crying." If I am wrong to deny others the claim to think for me, please extrapolate and justify that claim of others that they know better than I do what might be right and wrong for Da Possum.

God is my judge; no one of this earth. May He bless you.

January 22, 2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Thank you, Maggie!

One of my favorite things to do, on airliners, when faced with a crying kid, is to reverse my [usual wardrobe] sports- or suit-coat jacket, stand in the aisle, and start doing a Frankenstein's monster impression. The 6'3" helps, as does the stagger from my ideopathic neuropathy...bad walking. I don't need any makeup to put Boris Karloff to shame.

When confronted with a seatmate who wants to nervously chatter for the next few hours of the flight, I settle for simply reaching out and tweaking either his/her nose or earlobe. Both actions induce instant silence, so I can sweat out the rest of the flight in blessed serenity. I hate flying.

I was admiring the new glasses in the optometrist's mirror the other day before leaving the office. My driver snorted, laughed, and reminded me "Hey, Bob, it's only a pair of glasses. They don't change the basics."

January 22, 2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

I second Maggie. Is there a quorum? I have never had problems with airlplane seatmates talking too much I just sleep through most of them, but I love your solution.

January 22, 2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum, was just kidding, couldn't help myself really. I'm not sure which upsets me the most, people who have a right to tell me what to think because I'm wrong or people who have a right to tell me what to think because I'm stupid. I guess its a toss-up.

January 22, 2006 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the Janis Joplin mugging, babu?

Your rant makes sense. Some of the tee-shirts are over the top though. (Ha! Ha!)

I cannot believe that I have found something to agree on with boberin. Probably someone in a fit of self-righteous prudery probably thought that they were unsubscribing themselves. Good grief! If something offends them, they can change the channel or hit the "off" button.

January 22, 2006 8:47 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Of course you're a sick puppy! That's why I like you.

IM[NS]HO, confidence is high that whomsoever clicked that "Unsubcribe" link thought they were unsubscribing their ownself...

January 23, 2006 1:35 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Well, I thought the T-shirts were funny but I'm probably a bit wilder than most folks. Approaching my 49th birthday tomorrow, though and realizing that I've certainly calmed down a bit (some would say matured but what do they know?).

I would say that you have the right to put whatever links you want on your site and people have the right not to visit either if they're offended. Live and let live: what a concept!

January 24, 2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger spd rdr said...

Good to see you Possum Trot... I think.

January 26, 2006 8:41 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Always good to be seen...instead of "viewed" in a pine box.

February 02, 2006 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum,
RE: that photo at the top! With my nickname being "rat" (don't say it people!) for lo these past 30 years, I gotta say,
"I resemble that remark!" Now that's cruel and unsuasual!

February 03, 2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home