Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Spectacle of Spectacles!



I’m beginning to feel like a middle-aged Andy Rooney. Instead of doing incisive analysis of world events, or cutting-edge humor like the great Scott Ott at ScrappleFace, I’m always griping about something, or so it seems. Ah, well…when you’re not the brightest bulb in the marquee, you do what you can, and try to brighten the corner where you are.

I broke my glasses—the ones in the picture—just after Christmas. A couple of days ago, when everyone had recovered from their New Year’s hangovers, I went in for an eye exam and a new pair. No big chain-store optometrists in a strip mall for this little grey marsupial; I use a private-practice optometrist who knows his patients, and cares about them. The eye examination was comprehensive and easygoing at the same time, and while the franchise opticians boast “glasses in an hour”, I had mine in less than fifteen minutes from the moment the frames were chosen.

The frames are what have me going today. What’s with the latest “fashion” in men’s glasses? I’m specifically addressing these girly-men frames that keep showing up on guys’ faces. You know what I’m talking about: those narrow, 3/4-frame jobs that look like they belong on a schoolgirl, not an adult male. I admit to being old-fashioned and politically incorrect, but it’s jarring to see an otherwise intelligent man, especially those offering commentary on TV, looking like a sissy. The America-hating political cartoonist Ted Rall is one example. He looks like he stole his glasses from a 12-year-old girl. When he made an appearance on one of FOX News’s shout-shows, defending one of his appallingly offensive “cartoons”, he looked like a dork. To be fair and balanced, there is a FOX reporter, Roger Something-or-other-with-a-British-accent, who also wears similar glasses at times. During the commercial breaks between Ted and Roger, a nationwide optician’s chain store advertises handsome, smiling guys wearing these feminine-looking glasses. Thank God, my optometrist didn’t try to foist something like that on me.

I know…I know. We have a “spy scandal”, a bribery scandal connected to a political lobbying scandal, soaring energy prices, an out-of-control southern border, and I keep hearing rumors of a war somewhere that’s still ongoing. With all that, why the high dudgeon about the latest fad in men’s eyewear?

The answer is simple: if an otherwise qualified male individual is going to offer analysis, or propose solutions, for any of the serious subjects just mentioned, he should try to look intelligent and sincere. He should not look like a child molester who keeps souvenirs. These hip, girly-man glasses are an affront to masculinity, like movies that star Leonardo DiCaprio. I know that it’s the age of the Sensitive New Age Guy, but the last time I checked, most women like their men to be, well, manly. That doesn’t mean beating the wife, kicking the dog, or thrashing the kids. We can appreciate the fact that men are, in fact, from a different planet than women, however. There is something vaguely disquieting in this subtle denial of masculinity in today’s culture. Leonardo DiCaprio was born to play his role in “Titanic”, but when he tries to be convincing as an Old West gunfighter, a New York gang lord, or a man’s man like Howard Hughes, the results are laughable. My generation grew up with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood for role models; the most sensitive of that pantheon of actors was Jimmy Stewart, and he was a rugged guy, onscreen and off, when he had to be.

Dorothy Parker once said: “Men seldom make passes at girls who wear glasses.” I suppose the other side of that coin would’ve been the notion that “real men don’t wear glasses.” Both of these ideas are fallacies. I am attracted to women who wear glasses. Of course, being a Sensitive New Age Guy, I don’t make passes at them these days. Men have the same Mark I model eyeballs as women, and sometimes need a little outside assistance to bring the world into focus. But, c’mon, guys! Either get yourself some Clark Kent horn-rims, or some industrial-looking glasses like Michael Douglas wore in “Falling Down”, or some aviator-style wire-frames, as I did this week. Or go with the frameless look, like Denzel Washington in “The Manchurian Candidate”. Even the Ben Franklin or John Lennon style is acceptable. Looking like a girly-man who snatched his glasses from a pre-adolescent schoolgirl is not acceptable. Grow up!

17 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I'm not sure what "ooranos" is selling, but the link goes to an interesting treatment of the pictures I've used in recent blog posts. Very strange, indeed...

January 05, 2006 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Donald Rumsfeld look is "in". Those little femi-ninnies that you gripe about can eat his dust.

I need glasses just to read these secret access codes!!!

January 05, 2006 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 years old, so that makes...26 years now. The first pair I had were these weird pink on top, blue on bottom ones. Then "The Equalizer" came on the air and I wanted a pair like his, so I wore that style for a few years. Now, it's metal frames, spring-loaded hinges, and a sublte mauve pattern on the temples. And mine NEVER take an hour.

January 05, 2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Possum,
I get those $20 magnifying reading glasses from the local pharmacy. Went from 125 strength to 150 strength. Soon to be working on the next level (whatever that is). Like my dad (83 years young), says... "You can't be a WIMP to get old. You gotta be TOUGH!" Doin' my part to follow in the old man's footsteps.
Best regards,
Hawkeye

January 05, 2006 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always think of Bill Clinton with those little things perched on the end of his big fat red nose. I always thought,"Does he really think those make him look like he doesn't wear glasses?" Madwoman Albright or Alldim ,wore those too, and it made her nose look like a ski slope, with those skilift chair things on the end.

January 05, 2006 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have worn glasses since before they were invented I think. Went to contacts for a few years at the urging of my then new wife (she is still around, the contacts are long gone)
Several freinds had that Lasek surgery, they swear by it. Seems to me that it would just cause a bigger prblem down the road but that's cause I'm old.
I'll stick to my plain old wire frame trifocals and go from there

January 06, 2006 7:49 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

I'm with Hawkeye. 1.25's for the computer (getting ready to step up to 1.5's), 2.5's for stitching, and the tiny fold up kind in my purse (1.25's) for reading menus, etc. How do they look? I don't really care. Someday (probably soon), I'll have to start wearing them full time, and I'll have to decide.

As for men, depends on the face! ;o)

Michael Douglas in Falling Down, now there's a real man's man for ya! LOL

Glad to see you blogging Possum!

January 06, 2006 7:56 AM  
Blogger UpNorthLurkin said...

So where is the "after" picture?! Inquiring minds want to see! Having perfect vision til my forties, I had an awful time adjusting to just remembering I need cheaters to read now. Bright sunlight works too...but I join all of you in the 1.25s for the computer. I'm up to 1.75s for reading but that's because you have to toss in the low wattage bulbs used because of the hotflashes. You guys have it so easy!!! Ha!

January 06, 2006 9:25 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I'm having bad luck with cameras these days, so there's no "after" photo. Glasses aren't supposed to change or disguise the character of one's face, and the simple wire-frames I chose sort of fade into the general homely background, anyhow.

I still refuse bifocals, and will continue to read and use my computer without glasses until my nose is touching the page/screen. I'm nearsighted, and only need my glasses for driving and watching TV from across the living room.

The word verification for posting comments does resemble one of the vision tests I took the other day.

January 06, 2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

I like plain black, round wireframes...but the "fashion" keeps getting smaller, and what's en vogue is what my eye doctor stocks. Sigh...

January 09, 2006 5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now wear the very small rectanglular wire frames but don't like them.They were comfortable at first and that is what sold me,but now they are too small and viewing scope is limited.Oh Well!

Prettyold,
I wish I had your gift of writing.You always give me a chuckle.

January 09, 2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger UpNorthLurkin said...

Say it ain't so! I just hate changes and if you lock up, I have to change my morning routine again! Just cuz we don't comment doesn't mean we don't read and enjoy! Most of the time I don't have anything funny/clever to say and as my name suggests, merely read and lurk!! How are you? How are you feeling?!

January 09, 2006 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't leave us!

January 09, 2006 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'll never know what could happen if you quit.

January 09, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

How will I know what movies to avoid if you quit blogging?

As far as the glasses go, I began wearing them about the time I turned 45. Until then I had excellent vision. But boy, it is going south quick! I now need my bifocals for most things close and far. I use the wire rim thingies my doctor carries, though they are a bit small and cause some trouble seeing peripherally...

My favorite vision of a moonbat is Carl Levin with those idiotic reading glasses perched on the end of his enormous schnoz! Priceless!

January 09, 2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I ain't leaving. I swear.

It was only a quitter's thought.

I ain't a quitter. Shoot me in the back again.

January 10, 2006 1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh, because my poor dad spent his whole adult life trying to find glasses that he liked. If he'd had his druthers, he'd have worn the plain black plastic frames of his youth, but as he aged he couldn't find them any more, and had to try to find the next best alternative.

Unfortunately those glasses are now on the shelf above his computer, as he no longer needs them. They remind my sister and me of the many happy hours he spent in that chair

January 23, 2006 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home