Monday, December 12, 2005

Good night, Tookie


I was so busy with muttering about movies today, I barely thought of the high-profile murderer who faces his end in a few hours.

I don't think my father was killed by a gang member. Evidence suggests he was a victim of a protected witness. This is someone who hides inside the federal "snitch" program, but ventures out to commit crimes when the urge strikes them. If the cops start closing in, the perpetrators holler to their handlers that they've been identified, and they get an immediate relocation and new identity.

My family is one of four who had to go through the ordeal of murder. That killer has never been captured; justice has not been done.

The execution of Tookie Williams is not a racial act; we are not hanging Negroes from the nearest pine tree in the South. If you look at the extant photographs of him, you see prison posturing. Tough guy, bodybuilder. He has steadfastly maintained his "innocence" in the face of overwhelming evidence. Prisons are filled with "innocent" people; you don't believe me, just go and ask them. He has had a quarter-century to prove his innocence. I don't see where his "good works" with young people have dissuaded a single child from joining a gang. He refuses to inform on the national organization he helped to found: The Crips gang.

I have no sympathy for murder. None whatsoever. Charles Manson, David Berkowitz, and that Chapman mook who killed John Lennon should not be alive today. They are flukes of law, and beneficiaries of nuanced arguments that I can't fathom. They are accompanied by a host of lesser-profile killers. My father's life, and the lives of three others, were traded off for a snitch's information on a burglary ring that was stealing firearms in Georgia and running them to New York.

Those who argue against the death penalty say it's barbaric. They say it somehow dehumanizes society to put people to death. They argue in nuanced, intellectual terms that there is no deterence value in killing our fellow human beings.

A killer who is executed is deterred. From what I have seen and heard of Tookie, he has nothing coming in the way of clemency or leniency. My hat is off to Governor Schwarzenegger for refusing political correctness in favor of justice. Yes, there is an element of bloodlust that associates with murder. I would never wish the ordeal on my worst enemy. My father was an old guy; 78 years old when he was gunned down. He might be dead of old age by now, but it was his right to live to the fullness of days that God awarded him. A man put himself between my father and his right to peacefully live his last days.

Tookie put himself in that same position. He stood between people and their lives, and stole their most valuable possession from them. He took everything they were, and everything they were going to be.

The money in a 7/11 cash register, the furnishings in a home, a car, and other acoutrements of life are stuff. They can be replaced. Once taken, a human life cannot be replaced.

Good night, Tookie. You bought the ticket in that instant you pulled the trigger. Now, take the ride, and be a stand-up guy about it until the last breath.

10 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

Took-took Tookie, goodbye!
Took-took-Tookie, don't cry.

Oh well, that's about all the song parody I have in me today.

Great post! I hope your father's murderer meets the same fate.

December 12, 2005 7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum, as tough as I know it is on you (I lost my brother in a car accident, not nearly the same thing, but I know the pain of losing a member of your immediate family) your father is with the Lord. His killer won't be. And I couldn't agree with you more that execution is definitely a deterrant to the one executed. Given the large number of prison breaks lately, a life sentence doesn't offer the same guarantee.

December 12, 2005 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And generally a life sentence without parole means the have to serve 7 years instead of ten.look how many time Manson and Sirhan have come up for parole. If there was ever a "Righteous Murder" it was when that guy killed Jeffery Dahmer and his rascist buddy in a prison here in Wisconsin.They had harrassed this black guy and he got rid of them. Saved the state a lot of money.From what close friends have told me the worst way to lose a loved one is Suicide, but having them murdered must be right up there. Well ,let's face it ,there is noeasy way . My Dad was 90 and still I was so surprised and went through the whole denial thing.
If they don't execute a thug like Tookie ,they are saying those 4 he killed weren't as valuable to the world as Tookie.Contents of Barnyards!

December 12, 2005 8:55 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I am reliably informed that an eternity of burning in hell is worse than any immediate penalty we may suffer here. I know that all things are revealed in the majesty of God, and I will know the truth. My father will receive his justice.

I'm a fan of instant gratification. My life is an instant; I didn't like seeing my ma suffer.

I have one comment about bloodlust and justice: whoever the killer is, I'd better never find out. What I will do will curse me as surely as your sin of murder. I won't brag after the fact, like Tookie, but I'll sleep like a baby.

December 12, 2005 9:01 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Great piece my friend. Sorry to hear about your father.

As for Tookie... some mistakes in this life can be easily forgiven or overlooked. The slaughter of multiple innocents while laughing at the sounds they make while dying, is not one of them. While I am not one to seek vengeance ("Vengeance is mine", sayeth the Lord), I think Romans 13:1-6 about sums up my position on the matter. Quoted it in fact today on ScrappleFace in another context.

Regards...

December 12, 2005 11:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

"He took everything they were, and everything they were going to be."

Nice paraphrase of that Clint Eastwood line from "The Unforgiven"...and quite apt.

December 13, 2005 3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice piece possum, very eloquent

December 13, 2005 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tookie took four lives
and wanted off the hook,
but 'Ahnold' said "True Lies"
so the deep six Tookie took.

December 13, 2005 9:02 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

The world is a slightly cleaner place today.

Is anyone really going to take to the streets to complain that the state of California dumped some trash last night?

Redemption is possible, in the light of The Lord. Rehabilitation is a single-minded purpose of a well-lived life. It is an individual act. The state ain't going to do it for you.

Tookie showed neither. He went out glaring at those gathered to watch him die. He was a "stand-up" guy to the the end. Today he's standing tall in Hell.

No sympathy for murderers. None whatever.

My paraphrase from "Unforgiven" was carefully chosen.

December 13, 2005 11:37 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Robert,

Amen.

December 20, 2005 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home