Monday, December 12, 2005

The Return of the Revenge of the Son of the Movie Critic.

December is a hard month. This year is the 20th anniversary of my father's murder. My health isn't all that good these days.

I started a post yesterday, and got two comments before I'd said anything. Thank you, my constant readers!

My satellite provider gave me an "all-access" weekend, on and around the third of December, which is when my Pa was killed. Since I'm a chronic insomniac, I dutifully sat up for 72 hours straight, watching movies, comedy specials, and shows about sexuality that alarmed even a sleaze fan like my jaded self.

Where to begin? I like a good dirty joke. I suffer from potty mouth, and enjoy bathroom humor as much as Howard Stern. I also raised two girls who turned out pretty well despite their old man. I am much alarmed that HBO and Showtime offer unlimited access to what I saw during my little weekend marathon. Cable and satellite providers brag that they offer "lockout" services on their adults-only channels. If you have the password entered, they won't even deliver a program description.

What parent locks out HBO or Showtime? They have a clever mix of family-friendly programming. One of the movies that had me chuckling was "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead." A Disney offering, I got a hoot out of it as an adult. I had to check the rating a couple of times to verify that it's PG-13. Scanning the schedule, I saw some old Looney Tunes, and a new one. Showtime is a CBS franchise, and that speaks for itself. How many homes have HBO, though? The normalization of abberrant sexuality had me wincing. I know what kids do when their parents aren't watching.

Robert Klein and George Carlin are funny guys. They both hate George Bush. There was an undertone of nastiness in some of their remarks about Christianity. I promise you, guys, we aren't out to run anything.

The BBC had a good little flick about a dirty bomb detonating over London. It's titled "Dirty War", and is well worth a look. The BBC has more prejudice in their remote control finger than I can dream of for my whole body, but they were sensible in the production of this little piece.

I had three posts originally for my ravings. One was "original productions", one was the sexual nature of contemporary programming on the major cable channels, and one was straight up movie reviews. It took me a week to sleep off the binge of "entertainment". I'll try to combine them here; it's all TV, after all.

"The Manchurian Candidate" had to be the striking movie of the week. Anti-capitalism, big-time conspiracy theory, very scary. It wastes one of my favorite stars, Denzel Washington. I had the privilege of working with him on "Glory." Denzel is a good guy; he stands out among the Hollywierd elite. Meryl Streep is much more captivating; she is a perfect Hillary clone.

More than the implants, the suggestion of sinister vice-presidents out to dominate the world, and the overall "I hate America" rubbish, Ms. Streep hands us Hillary on a platter. I am alarmed that people are going to see this movie, and vote for her.

"The Alamo" is also good. Billy Bob Thornton is a better Davy Crockett than John Wayne. I think most of us know what happened there.

The high point of the weekend had to be the zombies, though. Democrat zombies.

I see a new post coming up on this subject.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

I like the title of your post. You drop 3 ways to say "Sequel" in no time flat... (Return Of, Revenge Of, Son Of). And best of all, you provide your own sequel to your last post. COOL!

December 12, 2005 11:08 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

Ah, for those halcyon days of yesteryear...when movies could subtly hint at things, rather than show them in explicit, depraved Technicolor™.

December 13, 2005 3:46 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Caught a glimpse of a Jeff Daniels interview last night. His position (paraphrased):

I never looked at acting as a pursuit to anything, it was just employment. That's why I live in Michigan; I figured, when it ran out, and I didn't have a job there anymore (Hollywood), I'd be HOME!

What a guy! (Michigander reference aside.)

December 20, 2005 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home