Friday, December 23, 2005

Bad Santa!

No pictures for this. Everyone knows what Santa looks like. The fact that St. Nicholas was the patron of thieves and outlaws is irrelevant...or maybe not.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Billy Bob Thornton. He's my kind of guy. Mostly angry and profane, he has his moments of what us movie critics would call tenderness. He is the most sublime actor since Tommy Lee Jones [Al Gore's college roommmate] chewed scenery in the '70s and '80s.

Billy Bob earned an Oscar nomination for "Monster's Ball". Halle Berry won the statue. The movie put me to sleep. Billy Bob pays his dues, and is the best character actor in Hollyweird. Maybe it's because I'm a redneck, but I always relate to whatever role Mr. Thornton choses. He is a much better David Crockett than John Wayne, although the historical end of "The Alamo" has me asking questions. (I am a descendant of Captain Dickenson, the artillery captain. I have to ask.)

The official critics blasted "Bad Santa". It's a story of redemption, in the revisionist Hollyweird style. I'll try not to do "spoilers", but a movie about a chain-smoking, profane, perpetually drunk Santa Claus thief can't be all bad. I have the maddening habit of speaking dialogue before it is pronounced on the screen. I am Scrooge; I know what the bad Santa is going to say, because I have mumbled it.

"Bad Santa" is becoming a holiday tradition in The Possum Den. The capers are cool, but the attitude towards children, and the redemption of Santa, and the human spirit, is much more transcendent than the critics perceived. The kids are grown, and won't scream when Santa calls a brat "a little *******", takes a drink from a short-dog, and lights another cigarette.

The folks at the Internet Movie Database [IMDB, for future reference] rate this movie a 7.62. I rate it higher, because I am a big fan of anything concerning redemption, no matter how formulaic and Hollyweird saccharine it might be. Billy Bob is perfect as a child-hater who makes W.C. Fields look like a piker. Yet there is redemption there.

Christmas is an edgy propsition. Jesus was born among farm animals. Mary's pregnancy was a scandal, and we killed her child. "Bad Santa" is the perfect anti-Christmas, for those moments when we grow tired of defending our traditions against those who claim to be "offended" by what they perceive as a perversion of the First Amendment. I am offended by those who take offense, but I don't run crying for a lawyer. Grow up!

News flash! The federal government does not exist to protect you from things that offend you! I see plenty from minoritities that offends me, but I don't call the ACLU. I ain't perfect. Get over it, and may Jesus shine His light in your life during the coming year. Otherwise, go your way, and may peace be with you. God bless all here.

Meanwhile, rent or buy "Bad Santa" as the perfect anti-Christmas. We cuss while assembling the presents under the tree. Billy Bob takes it to the limit. No one else could dare to do what he does. I love a traditional Chistmas; I was brought up on them. My grandfather used to masquerade as Santa. I knew it was him, but I played along because of the exchange of love.

"Bad Santa" is a great reminder of why we observe our holiday. As Aristotle mentioned, it's also good catharsis. Billy Bob says everything bad about Christmas, and children, so we don't have to. If you've ever raised kids of your own, you'll appreciate the reptilian honesty of character in this under-rated gem. I don't think a parent exists who hasn't paused at some point and said "**** this!."

I love Christmas, but live in the real world. The magic is lost, but not forgotten. Perhaps the the redemption of the "Bad Santa" is more important than the movie itself. When you arrive at the "Bah! Humbug!" moment, it's a life saver.

9 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Speakin' of "Monster's Ball", I've always wondered about the monster's other ball.
(Hey, if Santa can be bad...so can I)

December 23, 2005 7:02 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 23, 2005 9:08 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

I haven't seen Bad Santa yet, I'll have to check it out. I like Billy Bob Thornton as an actor too (but think he's a pretty weird character in life).

My personal favorite 'black humor' Christmas movie is The Ref with Kevin Spacey and Denis Leary. HI-larious!

Glad to see you blogging again Possum! Have a Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2005 8:09 AM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

Merry Christmas

December 24, 2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger UpNorthLurkin said...

Having just spent Christmas eve with relatives...4 kids under six and two sullen teenagers, I can identify with your sentiment. Never having been blessed with the two legged variety of "kids", I'm probably not an expert, but it seems to me that manners went out the window with the onset of daycare centers raising children. If the kids spend more of their waking moments with a daycare provider (who is paid to "love" the kids, where is the mystery when they sass or just don't listen to the strangers they go home and have supper with? Just askin' is all! Merry Christmas, Possum! What's up for today?

December 25, 2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Lindsey, my younger, called early this morning. Nothing can be finer today! I have my eye on an Angus steak for later, but nothing beats hearing from the kids. I even managed a few cordial words with the ex-Mrs. Trot, so all is well with the world.

December 25, 2005 10:15 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Loved "Bad Santa"! Billy Bob is a true character, and a character actor!

My wife is cooking up a three-rib Beef roast on the barbecue today and some salmon for the oldest boy who eschews beef (I know, I know). Twice baked taters and some birthday cake for the wife (it's her birthday, too). Top it all off with a good homemade beer and you'll probably hear me doing a rebel yell all the way from Michigan!

Merry Christmas, Possum, and many, many more!

December 25, 2005 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum great post: The best was:

News flash! The federal government does not exist to protect you from things that offend you! I see plenty from minoritities that offends me, but I don't call the ACLU. I ain't perfect. Get over it

UPNORTH: I can relate. Just put up with sullen married couple (our former sullen teen ager...it doesn't get better with age.) Our day was more fully blessed upon their early departure. May God Bless them.

Beerme: Mrs Fact's birthday is New Years Eve...even worse than having it on Chritmas, believe me.
Pass on my regards for a Happy one.

To everyone: Hope your day was wonderful...and have a safe and sane New Years Eve. Need to see those posts next year!

December 26, 2005 1:27 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hmmmm?! Aristotle mentioned that Billy Bob Thornton in "Bad Santa" is catharsis? Are you talkin' about Aristotle Onassis? Or is there some other Aristotle that I haven't heard about?

Curious Hawks need to know.

Regards...

December 27, 2005 3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home