Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Libertarian

I have a history with Bob Barr. In his capacity as Federal prosecutor in the 1980s, he came after me full-bore. He didn’t let up, and he savaged me to the point a federal judge told to him to relent in the face of a total eradication of his case.

I admit I am not a nice person. I have never claimed to be such. I have a sneaky past, and a post-modern present. I am not the person your mother would want you to marry.

Somehow, Bob Barr turned out to be the Libertarian candidate for President and I swore I would support this ticket, but I cannot. I said I would vote for the Libertarian candidate before I voted for John McCain.

I meant what I said at the time. McCain makes me extremely uneasy. However, I have to change my mind, and my vote. I’ll try to do what’s best for America. Osama Bamalama is a totally unviable candidate. He is the Manchurian Candidate. Hillary isn’t much better. Is it any mistake that TCM is airing the original Frank Sinatra/Laurence Harvey version of "The Manchurian Cadidate" tonight, and will probably have it in their movie rotation through election day?

(A footnote: I wote this post yesterday, and watched the original version of "The Manchurian Candidate" last night. The Denzel Washington/Meryl Streep remake might be a tad more relevant, but they don't call it Turner Classic Movies for a specious reason. Terrible Ted may be a Looney Toon, but he does do one thing right with his pet television station. May TCM never change!)

I don’t trust McCain’s politics as far as I can throw ‘em, as the saying goes. On the other hand, I have a history with Bob Barr that goes back to his tenure as a federal prosecutor in the 1980s, and I wouldn’t trust him to be elected dogcatcher. I suppose this means I have to reluctantly endorse the Republican candidate. Who knows? He may surprise us with a "surge" of conservatism. I ain't gonna hold my breath, but the alternative is unthinkable.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

One can always hope for McCain to start being the conservative we want him to be. One thing's for sure. He is not the worst candidate out there!

May 29, 2008 5:07 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Possum,
Sorry for bein' late to the party (again!). I don't know much about Bob Barr, but you're right about McCain. I will probably hold my nose as I vote for him (and maybe gag just a little in the back of my throat), but it's sorta like gettin' old... It sucks, but it beats the alternative.

(:D) Best regards...

May 31, 2008 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to trust someone who conveniently changes Parties right before an election, irrespective of any other reasons to distrust them.

But then, those other reasons can be the proverbial "icing on the cake"..

June 02, 2008 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home