Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More movie reviews; yawn and take heart

I mentioned a movie the other day. In response to some commentary about Osama Bamalama talking about the “angry, bitter” viewpoint of small-town America, I put up a post at ScrappleFace—link at right—about a Willie Nelson movie.

As my Constant Readers know, I believe movies to be a reflection of our lives. I worked in the industry for a while, and more than that, I believe that the magic of cinema says something about our lives than we dare admit to ourselves.

To this end, there is a 1986 movie titled “Red-Headed Stranger”. It is one of two movies that I truly enjoyed C&W singer Willie Nelson in. He was good, if acerbic, in “Barbarosa” opposite Gary Busey. Otherwise, he reveals himself to be a nut case. He has that “deliberate demolition” theory of the fall of the WTC towers. About the only thing I can admire him for now, besides his exceptional and off-key songs, is that he’s a tax scofflaw. I despise the American income tax, too, but I don’t make millions of dollars a year. Otherwise, I’d file well over what I owe them, and collect the difference. I like staying below the radar; it is what Martha Stewart called “a good thing”. Few people know I exist today, and that suits me just fine. Riches and fame have their advantages, but anonymity and a quiet cremation or burial in Potter’s Field have their advantages.

This isn’t about moi. This is about what the future president of the United States had to say about his constituency the other day. I still have my doubts that John McCain can get elected, and I’m not even sure that as a conservative I’ll hold my nose and vote for him. If it comes to a pinch, I suppose so. I’m certainly not for voting for the party of losers and defeat, i.e. the Democrats. I’d sooner cut my foot off with Amy Carter’s chainsaw.

Going back to movies, in a fit of sanity, Willie Nelson made a movie in 1986. It is a poignant story of murder and redemption. Character actor R.G. Armstrong stole the movie, in my opinion. He thought he’d killed Julian [Nelson], the preacher, and wanted to die for it. I called his performance “searing”, and stand by it. He has a showdown in a saloon that is one of the most frightening and disturbing I’ve seen onscreen in 20 years.

This is basically a story of redemption. The Preacher [Nelson] killed his wife for infidelity. God knows [no pun intended] we husbands haven’t all felt that urge if the old lady was fooling around. Most of us don’t resort to murder; there is no sense that we marry only to have “disposable wives.” I have an intense dislike for my ex-wives; it doesn’t imply that I want to leave them dead in some landfill. We have this legal device called “divorce”, and if it means I have to give them a house, it’s still better for my soul than exacting revenge at the muzzle of a .44.

Nevertheless. It’s what Willie did. He hunted the old lady down and killed her. He took her horse, and never allowed anyone to ride it again. He took up the gun, and followed it to bitter ends.

This is where R.G. Armstrong comes in. Willie was his best friend. In his duties as a sheriff, he draws and shoots Willie on the spot, then kicks him into a lake. He goes for an undetermined amount of time convinced he has killed his best friend. He becomes an alcoholic maniac, daring people to shoot him. Nelson is understated, but Armstrong scares the bejabbers out of me. I think he stole the movie when he stared at a rube saying “I ain’t gonna take this anymore” and he says “Don’t you know who I am? I’m the man who’s going to kill you.”

This is ultimately about redemption. Armstrong gets it relatively simply; his best friend is alive, and sobers him up. Nelson finds a surrogate family, but must leave it to find redemption. A Willie Nelson Western is as simple as a country song, but I seem to find a lot of layers under the exterior.

This is a bittersweet story about redemption, which is an important part of my life. It is merciless in parts, as were the times. It also finds something as simple as plowing a field as an act of redemption greater than a man’s life.

Osama Bamalama would be well-served by taking a couple of hours and watching this movie. God and guns doesn’t have a thing to do with an economic condition. Movies are truly a reflection of how we live our lives. “Red-Headed Stranger” also reflects the best and the worst of what it means to carry a firearm. I won’t give spoilers, but if The Preacher [Julian] ever redeemed himself, he did it in the most painful way possible.

One of the best parts of the movie is that Willie does his own soundtrack. When he sings a portion of “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain”, I start leaking. I have blue eyes, and I have stood in the rain crying them out. I don’t like C&W, but that tears my heart out every time.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

I haven't seen it but will look out for it, now.

Be careful outlining your passions. Next speech Obama'll be saying bitter folks cling to movies to hide their frustration...

April 17, 2008 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum ,Country music was made for you.For instance " I've Got Tears In My Ears ,From Lying On My Back, Cryin'Over You", "Smoke ,Smoke , Smoke That Cigarette",and "If You Got The Money ,Honey, I've Got The Time."
Country fans never disown the hits from long ago,nor the artists who did them.Rock fans often throw the oldies under the horse and wagon.
I would have agreed with you about movies showing who we really are,until Michael Moore and Looney Clooney etal started making their propaganda films. the only thing these movies show ,is how corrupt and disgusting these film makers are.

Barb

April 17, 2008 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of guns, Obama really "shot himself in the foot"...

April 18, 2008 2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home