Friday, April 11, 2008

Farewell to a legend

Charlton Heston died last Saturday. I saw my mother through the last vicious days of Alzheimer’s; I hope he was spared the ravages, and the end came quickly and quietly.

Ted Turner is a lunatic, but his TCM [Turner Classic Movies] can be counted upon to do the right thing. For me, the most surprising part of Robert Osborne’s “Private Screenings” interview with Heston was discovering that he stood 6’3”. Gee, I stand as tall. As an actor, Heston used his height to the same advantage as I did. Step inside someone’s “comfort zone”, and have them looking up at you, and you suddenly dominate the stage. I’m a scrawny little critter, and not an actor; Heston was athletically proportioned, and certainly an imposing presence. Nevertheless, the psychological advantage of height is undeniable.

Charlton Heston made movies that reduce me to tears no matter how many times I’ve seen them. “Ben Hur” comes immediately to mind. No matter how many times I’ve seen it, when his mother and sister come out of the leper’s cave, and they’re healed, I start leaking.

In his interview with Osborne, Heston talks about what a thrill it was to play real men who moved the world. El Cid, John the Baptist, Michelangelo, Charles “Chinese” Gordon—his self-professed favorite role in “Khartoum”.

We also have such underrated offerings as lonesome cowboy Will Penny, and the flawed, obsessed cavalry officer “Major Dundee”.

Upon his passing, Heston was immediately targeted for vicious comments online, at the Daily Kos and that Huffington bitch’s site. Heston stood for America. He stood for firearms rights, and was quite gracious to slimebag Michael Moore when the latter interviewed him as part of “Bowling for Columbine.” Heston was much more hospitable than I would have been; given the circumstances and the nature of Moore’s questions, bodies would have been rolling down Scorpion Hill with boot prints in their asses.

It should also be remembered by left-wing mooks that Heston marched with Dr. King, and stood for the best of what America stands for. The late, great Lewis Grizzard said it best: “All good men are dead, and I don’t feel too good myself.”

Goodbye, Mr. Heston. You will be missed, and never replaced.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Yeah, Heston was great wasn't he? So many good roles. Even 'Soylent Green' for the Sci-Fi buffs. I think the libs hate him because he wasn't a 'girly-man'... like them. 'Nuff said.

(:D) Best regards...

April 11, 2008 9:33 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Moore's despicable treatment of the aging, Alzheimer's sufferer will forever mark him as a sad, sorry excuse for a man. Heston was the exact opposite.

April 12, 2008 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck was the real deal.

April 14, 2008 2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Heston in person, commanding, absolutely, but what made his stature and presence great was his grace. A gentleman unparalleled.

April 14, 2008 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home