Saturday, March 15, 2008

Preachin' to the Preacher

This is getting ugly. I have been spat upon by people who thought they were on the side of the angels, and I only lashed back once.

I am hearing the sound bites: “God damn America!”

I have been on both sides of the coin, but never in my life have I said such a thing with such fervency. This will get you cursed by God. Take my word for it; I labor through the last days of my life under such a curse.

I am a Christian of sorts; not a very good one. I have doubts. My so-called intellect leads me to doubts about what happens after we die. I am scared to death, no pun intended, and my preachers aren’t reassuring about what—if anything—might happen after death.

I have seen the hand of God at work on this tiny planet. Despite my doubts, I have seen God intercede in my life. One day, I saw His hand intercept bullets that I set on unalterable courses at a malefactor’s back. God none-too-gently eased me into disability later, and if I can’t walk today, I am alive and grateful. It wasn’t that bad guy’s day to die at my hand, and I am still blessed with life for an indiscernible purpose. When I see what I must describe as a huge fist scooping up bullets, I get written off as a nut case. I guess I wasn’t supposed to kill that fellow. I don’t miss; it was no accident. God said "No, not him. No, you don't." The fact that I am still alive speaks for God's inscrutable purpose. There is no good reason for it, but there it is.

I live a very benign life these days. I want the best for everyone. When I hear some one shouting “God damn America!” I have to run for the hills. Regardless of race, color, or creed, you start yelping that rubbish, and I’m out of here.

I am also cursed. Years ago, in a moment of extremis, I screamed from the bottom of my heart, “LEAVE ME ALONE!”

Unfortunately, I bear that curse to this day. God has left me alone, to my own devices. I have since recognized my own puniness, but I am not forgiven. I have never been forgiven for cursing God’s name. I got what I warn against: the Chinese proverb. Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it.

You who are students of rhetoric may think this a device. I can promise you it is real. If you screw around with God, you will be “got” in the worst possible way.


I was a graceful ballroom dancer, back in the day. I have no problem with a black president. I want someone with the spine to kill bad guys. I don’t care about my lost dancing skills. Jeremiah Wright insults every white person who ever tried to do the right thing. I got my clue at an early age; something was wrong.

Reverend Wright! Calling upon God to damn anything is a huge mistake. Like the Chinese proverb, you might get what you want.

I don’t know what kind of bruising Reverend Jeremiah Wright is cruising for. I’ve never been an actor, and never played one on TV, but if I step out of character, I’d say that Reverend Wright is the Great White Hope. That impassioned preacher is doing more to derail Osama Bamalama than any number of sheet-wearing idiots. I was already frightened at the prospect of Bamalama as president; the notion of this preacher as spiritual advisor to the president makes me want to wear my sheets, instead of sleeping on them.

There are questions to be asked here. They will not be asked. Votes will be cast, based upon someone’s ability to dance well on MTV. Jeremiah Wright insults every white person who ever tried to do the right thing. I got my clue at an early age; something was wrong. Get off my back.

Reverend Wright, I have been on your side for longer than you know. By the words out of your mouth, I am against you. I am cursed by God for a casual comment. I am not a racist, but I swear by God that you are, and it will haunt you. I am cursed by God, so you’d best be careful of the language you use. Few people will take note of what I say here, but I will stand against you and denounce you as a Christian when those you married will not. There is a better way, but you don’t seek it. Keep it up; you will destroy everything you claim to stand for. I wonder if the next president of America will join such repudiation. I fear not; this is the way of the future.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe that you are cursed by God; He's a forgiving sort. While there's life, there is hope.

As for this blasphemer masquerading as a man of the cloth...he damns himself. Like others of his ilk...

March 15, 2008 2:42 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Ah, Jack I am damned. There is no doubt or redemption there. The curse has been in place for as long as the book of Deuteronmy; I think that's where it's located. It's something about setting your hand to anything, and it will turn to ashes and dust before your eyes. Trust me, it's real. Everything I have set my hand to has turned to ashes and dust.

March 15, 2008 3:42 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I should have been a "preacher". What a good living!

March 15, 2008 3:45 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Would that Mr. Wright (Wrong!) were as damned as he wishes America to be. I often wonder about the just rewards angle, and don't see much justice in it. Then again, it may just be an afterlife type thang, huh?

March 15, 2008 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right you are. I continue to be rocked to my socks. I have a lot of trouble wrapping my mind around what this alleged "man of God" has to say about America. We aren't the cleanest nation on Earth, but we didn't invent AIDS or devise crack cocaine to destroy black people.

March 16, 2008 2:12 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I am rocked to my socks by what this religous madman says. This is the way of the future?

March 16, 2008 2:49 PM  
Blogger Barb said...

Possum ,please stop reading the Old Testament and switch to the New Testament. You are not damned ,far from it. I'm certain you have done as much that was good as you have done evil. and that is not how you are saved anyway,all you have to do is confess your sins(you have)and accept Jesus Christ into your heart as your Lord and Savior.I know you have had many tragedys happen to you in your life,but that doesn't mean you are lost. Amazing Grace.

March 17, 2008 1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Past, present and future.

We all have the mark of Cain on us. I don't hate the man so much; his own anger and hate are his own bitter reward. Maybe he means well in some kind of abstract way, but he's consumed by something that has consumed men since time immemorial; revenge. He wants to get even with everyone, especially "whitey" that's wronged him and what he believes to be "right". Pride, anger, revenge.

Yup. The mark of Cain is on him, too.

I read East of Eden about a million years ago (probably when you were in 'Nam), and the one part of the book still jingles in my brain. "Thou mayest triumph over sin".
Even as Cain was marked and cast out into the world; he still was told, "Thou mayest triumph over sin".

I don't know how, or know the way, but the road lays out there, somewhere beyond the darkness.

But as for me, I'm goin' to Georgia this weekend to have some fun in Savannah.

-Don Brouhaha

March 17, 2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Possum,

Take MY word for it... those of us who are Christians, are ALL Christians "of sorts". And most of us are not very "good" ones either. I think most of us recognize that we are "sinners" in need of a Savior. And although Jesus exhorts us to "Go and sin no more"... our human nature does not seem to permit perfection.

Best regards...

March 21, 2008 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Repent and be redeemed. Jesus is the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the father except through him. Stop being cozened by the satan.

March 28, 2008 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home