Friday, August 05, 2005

Leave them kids alone!


I'm an adopted child. Big deal. It means I don't share DNA with the rest of my family. That family has a long and proud history in America, and I thank God every day that I am a part of it.

Adoption is about the second-most intimate thing in the life, structure, and values of a family. Outside of the knowledge of the parents, and the sealed records of the legal procedure of adoption, it's nobody's damn business about the origin of the child. A life was created, it has a value assigned by both God and man, and it is permitted to go forth and flourish as it sees fit.

I had two loving parents. They weren't my "birth parents" who made the DNA milkshake, but they were kind, patient folks who did their best to raise me into a functional human-type being. Their love for me was as unconditional as if they'd done the sweaty, painful process of bringing my life forth.

I never pursued the identity of my "birth parents" beyond ascertaining that by the time I was adopted at three days of age, they were both deceased. The intimacy of adoption was an issue that consumed my parents' attention far more than mine. They loved me, and as a newborn I could've been tossed into a dumpster, as today's values dictate as the solution for unwanted children.

This all comes to mind today, as the New York Times, the official party publication of the Obstructionists, seeks to unseal the records of the adoption of one or both of the Roberts children. Those People are reaching a new low in behavior. Judge Roberts, nominated for a postion on the Supreme Court of the United States, is subject to examination of his curriculum vitae as a jurist. In their lust to oppose anything President Bush might want to do, the Obstructionists are looking for...what, exactly? Judge Roberts is a "safe" nominee for the high court; he's a precursor for the walk-down gunfight that will break out when Chief Justice Rhenquist retires, as he surely must.

The fact of my adoption caused me far less emotional trauma than my parents' conflict over telling me the truth of my origin. My concern here is for the Roberts children. They are doubtless the objects of the same unconditional love that my adoptive parents lavished upon me. That these children will be made to suffer because of some misguided political partisanship is unforgivable. While there are experts like Bob Beckel, Susan Estrogen, and countless others who are all too willing to explain away the behavior of Those People, can they wax honest for a moment and explain the relevance between the adoption procedure and Judge Roberts' qualifications for SCOTUS? I thought not.

Quoting the shout from Pink Floyd's "The Wall": "Hey, mister, leave them kids alone!"

Attack Judge Roberts on his record as a jurist all you want. It'll take the American people five minutes more to figure out the Obstructionist agenda, but at least it's coloring between the lines. Involving the gentleman's children, and what they may or may not know, is beyond the pale.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is terrible. Why is it Republicans ALWAYS consider children off limits ,while the party who pretends to care so much about the "chirrun" seem to actually enjoy hurting them . The only damage the Dismalcrats are going to cause is to Judge Roberts 'children and it will backlash to damage the Dems. Most adoption records are sealed.
As usual it is the dirty MSM press. Carrion Eaters!

August 05, 2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I had several chances to unseal the records, and track my "real" parents. I declined.

As I enter late middle-age, it might be medically advisable to know if I have any siblings who might cough up a heart, kidney, or lung for me, should I need one. On the other hand, I had a pretty decent young life life as an only child, and knowing that there's another strange being out there sharing my DNA is a terrifying proposition.

What Judge Roberts and his wife choose to tell their kidlets about where they came from is family business, not something that's germane to his career possibilities. This ploy by Those People is more disgusting than the failed "reality" show "Who's Your Daddy?"

August 05, 2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger RAM said...

Two comments:

(1) Someone last night brought up the fact that even adoptive parents are not allowed to see records of the adoption, so why should the prying press?

and

(2) I seem to remember all the dims crying to, "leave Chelsea alone" because she was not in politics. They seem to have forgotten that the Bush twins, Dick Cheney's daughter, and now John Roberts children are not in politics either.

August 05, 2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

My mom thought a Little White Lie might be in order. My dad said "tell him the truth; it won't ruin his life."

Steel Magnolia versus Laid-back Southern Moondog. They both won; Ma told me her version, and Dad was right about not messing up my life. Ironically, it was Ma who gave up the information about the fate of my "birth parents" when I was old enough to question her.

August 05, 2005 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The left is not only morally bankrupt, but bankrupt of ideology. When that happens the only tricks you have left are dirty tricks.

August 05, 2005 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no problem with The Bush Twins. College girls are supposed to get drunk and act stupid, it's only weird that Chelsea didn't. As for Mary Cheney, she can't help who her dad is but it MUST piss off her partner and her friends when Dad says mean things about her sexual orientation.
That being said, how Judge Roberts adopted his kids, who their blood parents were, or anything of the sort is NOT the media's concern, nor the Democrats'. Honestly sometimes we act so stupid...
[I never knew you were adopted Bob.]

August 05, 2005 3:02 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

It is my understanding that parents who adopt are often more loving than the biological variety. Many of them cannot have children of their own, so they appreciate the gift of a child all the more.

RightWing News, Ink:
It would appear you've succeeded in logging on here; now that you're registered, stop on by my place, too...

August 05, 2005 3:04 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Excellent post Possum. I am truly impressed by your willingness to share such personal information. It tells me that you are not afraid to be a little bit vulnerable. And in the context of the Roberts' family, it just adds such a stamp of authentication, that one cannot ignore the perilous predicament to which the children may soon be exposed. The story draws us in. We identify with the kids....

Bottom line? Why ain't you writing for some big time nationally syndicated magazine or sumptin'?

August 05, 2005 3:06 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Bravo, Possumtrot!
Somebody had to say it, but noone else would have done so, so eloquently.

Excellent job!

August 05, 2005 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Possum,

It is quite evident that the parents of John Roberts critics are responsible for 'crop circles'.
(Outer Limits theme here).

August 06, 2005 4:35 PM  
Blogger RAM said...

College girls are supposed to get drunk and act stupid, it's only weird that Chelsea didn't

Liz, you must have never seen this:

http://www.zpub.com/un/Chelsea.html

Hard as it may for you to believe, the press was told, "HANDS OFF Chelsea" during the Clinton years, and they obeyed.

Maybe it was left wing media bias that caused this, or maybe it was the number of people who met an untimely end who crossed the Clinton gang?

Anyway, comments from Chelsea about the secret service agents being, "trained pigs" never hit the press then either.

August 07, 2005 4:29 AM  
Blogger RAM said...

Liz: My point was, Chelsea never made the news when she got smashed!

P.S. These pics of her drunk are getting harder to find. I bet mom and dad have nothing to do with that fact. ;-)

There were some of her in a bikini that were none too flattering that seem to have disappeared altogether.

P.P.S. Howie: Do you ever post anything ON Topic?

August 07, 2005 4:34 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Howie,
FYI, you play a starring role in the latest posting at my blog View From Above. Check it out.

August 07, 2005 8:24 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Possum,
By the way, good of you to recant... don't you just wish some of those LLLMSM types would do the same once in awhile?

Nah... I might start to like 'em and then what would I rant about?

August 07, 2005 8:26 AM  
Blogger Libby Gone™ said...

Great Post, possum.

August 08, 2005 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home