Saturday, July 16, 2005

Gotta Love 'Em!


The Obstructionist Party, formerly known as the Democrats, are howling for Karl Rove's head. They're howling about President Bush's as-yet-unnamed replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court. They're howling about everything.

When a newborn baby cries continually in the other room, it gets on your nerves. If it's someone else's baby, you have to hope the parents will go in and see to its needs. Otherwise, you have to tune it out. If the parent doesn't see to the needs of the infant immediately, its cries will become more strident and demanding. The parent runs the risk that, if it's a full diaper that's making the kid cry, the child might eventually fish around inside that diaper and sling something nasty upon the wall.

I tortured up this feverish metaphor yesterday, when I heard that a Far Left website is urging its myrmidons to throw feces in Karl Rove's front yard, as a protest about... something. MoveOn.orgy, I think it was, but I don't take notes in front of the TV during Brit Hume's "Special Report" show. I'm lazy, and I'm sure all three of my savvy, devoted readers can look this up on the net and verify it. What caught my attention was that these intellectual giants had published Mr. Rove's home address, and a detailed map directing these wannabe vandals to his house.

This whole Rove/Plame/Wilson affair has exhausted my patience, and bored me to tears. Like someone else's kid crying in the other room, it's infantile wailing about an unspecified discomfort. Now, Those People have resorted to literally digging in their diapers for something nasty to toss about. Every time I hear demands about "bi-partisan consensus" from the Obstructionists, it filters through to what's left of my mind as a childish cry to have their noses wiped and their diapers changed.

What follows is a story about a more up-front group of equally petulant children. Although they're regarded by the FBI as a Top Five domestic terrorist organization, some of their antics at least produce a chuckle from time to time. I was going to post a link, but the blog won't accept my clumsy HTML tags. This was far more intriguing than almost anything else, besides the proposed desecration of Karl Rove's lawn:

Kill name, PETA asks Fishkill

Animal rights group offers alternative

By Anthony Farmer - Poughkeepsie Journal ©

If Fishkill changes its name to a more animal-friendly moniker, will the striped bass swimming in the Hudson River have any idea?

PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, seems to think so.

The animal rights group based in Norfolk, Va., renewed its call, first made nearly a decade ago, for Fishkill to change its name. The group now wants the town and village to be known as FishingHurts.com, which just happens to be the Internet address for a PETA Web site dedicated to the group's "fish empathy project."
Fishkill officials weren't biting Wednesday.

The name Fishkill is actually derived from two Dutch words: Vis, for fish, and Kill, for stream or creek. PETA acknowledges the true meaning of the name, but said most who see Fishkill on a map wouldn't know that.

Implied definition

"When they think of Fishkill, they think of abusing fish and that's not the right message," said Karin Robertson, manager of PETA's fish empathy project. "By changing the name, Fishkill can send a positive message to people."

PETA argues studies show fish are smarter than most people think.

PETA also offered to donate $15,000 worth of a soy-based, faux-fish product for school students in the town if the name is changed.

But local Fishkillers said PETA's offer wasn't likely to catch on.

Resident Willa Skinner, the town historian, said the area has been known as Fishkill since it was first settled.

"I don't know what's the matter with these people," Skinner said. "I think they don't mind a lot of ridicule. "What about the other kills, like Otterkill, Beaverkill, Catskill?" she wondered.

PETA said it would welcome any town with such a name to change it to something more animal-friendly.

Supervisor Joan Pagones said the name is part of the town's heritage and is not meant to demean any form of life. She noted the community even has a disaster plan that includes animals.

"We love animals, we love fish, we love dogs, we love cats," Pagones said. "We can't change our heritage."

Pagones said she is willing to sit down with the group. Instead of changing the town's name, she hoped any discussion would focus more on things like not using animals for testing commercial products, something she supports.

"I don't even have a fur coat," she added.

PETA has cast its net before seeking towns to change their names, but has come up empty.

Two years ago, PETA offered $15,000 worth of veggie patties for the community of Hamburg, near Buffalo, to change it's name to "Veggieburg." Hamburg leaders declined.

"We haven't been taken up on any of our offers yet," Robertson admitted.

22 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Speakin' as one of your three savvy, devoted readers:
River 'em all, let God sort 'em out!
(Think I'll have fish for dinner)

FWIW, we have a Hamburg in PA, too...

July 16, 2005 8:27 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Especially the picture!! Your post reminds me of what I said yesterday on Scrappleface. Here it is...
_______________

This whole Rove thing is just another example of the failure of the Democrats. The Democrats have no plan (except for John Kerry of course). If they have a plan, they can't communicate it. They have no agenda, they have no ideas. Their sole strategy is to attack, blame, and mock Republicans. Although... they sometimes make the occasional demand for power which they don't deserve, or they squeal about how they will not be ignored (despite having nothing worth drawing our attention to).

Bottom line: They're just a bunch of crybaby children throwing a tantrum... and they need a good swat on the rear if you ask me.
Posted by: Hawkeye® at July 15, 2005 10:18 AM

July 16, 2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

P.S.-- Am I one of your 3 savvy, devoted readers? If so, then thanks for the compliment. If not, then don't say anything... I'd be just crushed.

July 16, 2005 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my childhood, I was always told that fish is "brain food". Since PETA members won't touch the critters with a ten-foot pole, I guess their reluctance gives a clue about their lack of brains.

(PETA was the first to see that promoting fish fingers to kids have deprived whole schools of fish to swim with no hands! The horror!)

BTW thanks for opening this blog up for techno-dummies-- what Maggie said

July 16, 2005 11:24 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Thanks for the great morning laugh! "Fish are a lot smarter than people think they are." HAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Gee, if their so smart, you'd think they'd of figured out the whole 'hook' setup.

Disclaimer: I also don't own a fur coat.

Hoping to be one of the lucky three!!!

July 17, 2005 9:23 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 17, 2005 10:33 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Possum,
Thought you might like this. Go to the following link and scroll down to FUN-107

http://license-plate-world.com/fun4.htm

Best regards,
Hawkeye®

July 17, 2005 10:35 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Oooops,

Sorry about the comment at 8:33 AM. Somehow that comment got attached to a wrong automatic form filler entry. Didn't realize it was there. Please feel free to trash it.

July 17, 2005 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just moved from that part of the country(Norfolk,Va.).If the homeless would wear a porpous(sp?)
suit,then PETA would feed and house them.
ps....thanks for changing the posting format.

July 17, 2005 11:12 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

Hawkeye®:
Some of those plates are funny; I might be interested in one or two of 'em...one for the car, one for the truck.

Thanks for posting the link...

July 17, 2005 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why doesn't Fishkill change their name to catch'em gut'em andfry'emup. Really shake up Peta.

July 17, 2005 8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It still makes me feel stupic because I couldn't do that procedure to Blog on here. Do you suppose it's one of those right brain/left brain sort of things?The guys didn't seem to have a problem.I would blame age ,but Maggie is not that old.Oh ,well I'm here now!

July 17, 2005 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It made me feel stupid ,too.

July 17, 2005 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fiugred it out too, and I'm a blond!

July 17, 2005 11:01 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Yay, Maggie & prettyold! Glad you finally made it! Now we just need to get Ms.RW going!!!!!!!etc.

Now that you're estabished and can post, you don't have to do it again to post at any other blogspot blog. I usually start here and then jump off of Jack's blogroll. Also, I usually only have to type my info in once per logon session: do it here and then go to Hawkeye or Kajun or Possum and it's already there waiting for my comment. Cool, considering I have to type it in EVERY time at SF.

Disclaimer: It only took me 2-3 tries before I 'got' it.

July 18, 2005 7:37 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Oops, I forgot where I was ;o)

I meant to say I start at Uncommonly Sensible and go from there.

July 18, 2005 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prettyold,

You are anything but stupid.I always enjoy your honest posts and humor,and most others do also.

MargeinMI,
Thanks for the welcoming cheer.you are always so up beat.I love it.
Prettyold and I came in by the other route.
If you posted about your special "lunch"I missed it.
Would love to hear the gossip.Send the gals an email and spill your guts. :>)

July 18, 2005 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MargeinMI and prettyold,

Rats!!!!!
I forgot to print my name....I am a techno dummie......sigh

July 18, 2005 11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob! I made it ...I suppose I should keep my political leanings quiet here, due to all your loyal fans. But suffice it to say that the baby in the seal and I are BOTH frustarated with things as they are, but I know that crying and stamping feet won't change squat.

As for PETA...well, they need to just go away. Let the SPCA and the Humane Society handle *real* animal abuse and stop piddling around with this crap.

July 19, 2005 12:14 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

BTW, (FWIW) I ate fish last night; kippered herring in a tomato/basil sauce, it was...

July 20, 2005 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PETA ...People Eating Tasty Animals

July 20, 2005 5:13 PM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

Maggie,

You wouldn't want me to ....kiss and tell, would you? Suffice it to say I haven't been on line in two days (TWO DAYS!!!), 'cause I've been 'busy'. ;o)

(email coming...)

Disclaimer: Please disregard advice about posting info being carried from blog to blog. Incorrect. Some idiot invaded my hands and typed that. I'll try to keep my computer ignorance at bay in the future.

July 21, 2005 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home