Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Breaking news, every minute!

Since we’re suffering through the coldest April on record, I decided to sleep in and catch up on the news today. Aside from quickly checking the headlines for news of thermonuclear war on the weekends, I normally maintain a moratorium on the weekends. I knew it was darn cold yesterday, and my dog and electric blanket once again proved to be my best friends.

Stick a fork in him. Don Imus is done. What he said was stupid and thoughtless. He can apologize from now to breakfast, but the Rutgers basketball team hammered the last nail in the coffin of his career today.

I don’t consider Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson to be moral compasses. One is guilty of perjury and inciting a race riot; the other is an adulterous shakedown artist who spat in the food of customers while working in the service industry. I don’t consider these to be ideal credentials for alleged “leadership”, but then, if I refused employment based on their pasts, one would lead a boycott and the other would round up a gang of thugs to burn my business down.

Speaking of gangs of thugs, there is one issue that has gone virtually unaddressed in the Imus brouhaha. Much of the “gangsta rap” that pollutes the airwaves today routinely refers to women as b----es and “’hos”. When called into question, such language is routinely dismissed as “a cultural thing”.

Oh, really? Exactly what kind of culture is being founded, based on a 76% illegitimate birth rate, and rountine acceptance of women as b----es and “’hos”? Why does 15% of the American populace make up 49% of prison inmates? Why does the rest of this morning’s news consist of taped footage of armed robbers from coast to coast, all of a certain ethnic persuasion? Am I missing something here?

Just asking; I know I’m skating on thin ice here. White people are forbidden by political correctness from asking such questions. I don’t work for a high salary at NBC, and I sleep on my sheets instead of wearing them, so there!

And then we come to the Colorado community of Littleton. If that name rings a bell, it’s because Columbine High School is situated there. You remember Columbine; Michael Moore milked a lot of mileage out of it a few years ago.

More recently, a hero name of Dietz from this same town died doing his duty in Afghanistan. Now the town wants to raise a statue in his honor, and some touchy-feely types objected to a portrayal of this Navy SEAL with his rifle. At last report, before I slapped the power button on the TV, I hear these tender folks are “in hiding” from the outcry in the town. Mr. Dietz’s statue will be dedicated on 4 July. What happened at the high school was a horror, but there is absolutely no cause-and-effect between a hero’s death and the acts of heinous teenaged punks. A tad more parental supervision might be more effective than dishonoring heroes. What were those people thinking about?

And then, we have ravenous coyotes in New Jersey, and of course half the world is waiting with bated breath to discover the paternity of Anna Nichole Smith’s baby. The ex-wife used to be fond of Anna, and by default I found myself watching a few episodes of her “reality” show. There was the occasional glimpse of Daniel. I’m sorry the poor woman’s dead. I’m sorry that her son had an abbreviated, troubled existence. Howard K. Stern was always a vague figure in a baseball cap, hovering in the background. He’s getting creepier by the day. Greta Van Susteren feasts on this like the vulture she is.

So much for a round-up of the news. It’s time to light up the electric blanket, and hope that spring may finally arrive by the end of the week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Beerme said...

When I teach some of my Criminal Justice classes the subject of disproportionate minority representation in jails and prisons inevitably comes up. The book answer is somewhat vague, as all politically correct POVs are, but it goes something like this:
The disproportionality is due to:
1. A racist society
2. Poverty is disproportionate in minority communities
3. Police attention is disproportionately focused on minority communities
4. African-American cultural differences place less emphasis on the taboos against criminal behavior
5. All (or none) of the above

April 10, 2007 4:34 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Possum,
Greetings from Downtown, Coyote-land... (I didn't really have anything to say, I just wanted to say "Downtown, Coyote-land").

Stay warm!
(:D) Regards...

April 10, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

The "usual suspects" are quite a pathetic lot, huh?

April 11, 2007 12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home