Monday, August 07, 2006

"World Trade Center" or bust!


I don't get out much, so I will be expecting reviews from my constant readers on the opening of "World Trade Center".

I recieved a sneak preview of this movie today. As I suspected, I'll pay $7.00 to cry for two hours.

Oliver Stone has maybe redeemed himself as a filmmaker. I have boycotted this gentleman since his urination upon Vietnam troopers with "Platoon". He reached heights of idiocy with "JFK". "Natural Born Killers " was sheer trash. He may just be finding his way home with "WTC". I hope he overcomes his demons, and allows his visions to come through unobscured. Stone can be a great director, if he becomes unhinged like Sam Peckinpah and quits playing partisan politics with his visions.

I though it was a great inside joke that Stone did a cameo in "The Doors" as Jim Morrison's film school teacher. Only Alfred Hitchcock could have done a better job. At some future point I'll praise Val Kilmer's work in that movie; only his role as Doc Holliday in "Tombstone" impresses me more than his portrayal of Jim Morrison.

It's ironic that this ex-Marine, Ollie Stone, is the first to step up to the plate on 9/11. He gave a good explanation of why "WTC" is an "old-fashioned" movie, made with the sensibility of drawing upon common emotions. I will depend upon my constant readers for an ultimate judgement; then I'll pay $7.00 to cry for two hours.

4 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

I don't like to pay to be depressed, either...so I went the escapist route, and saw The Descent this weekend. Other than the typical Hollywood technical flaws (plainly evident to a caver/climber) it wasn't awful.

August 07, 2006 4:13 AM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

I can't see it until the week after this but I'll give critique a try

August 07, 2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger boberin said...

I too am more a "pay to laugh, wait for cable to cry" kinda guy. Won't be that long...

August 08, 2006 8:13 AM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Yeah, I've heard it's a real tear-jerker. But like you Possum, can't wait. Read it, er... see it and weep!

(:D) Regards...

August 10, 2006 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home