Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A month-old postscript

Back at the first of last month, I posted some mutterings about “Where are the Marielitos when we need them?” It was intended as a broad, rhetorical overview comparing the actions of our government in the past with what they are accused of today.

The History Channel, for those of you with access, has an excellent series entitled “The Enforcers.” This past weekend, they aired an episode about Atlanta ’87 that provides chapter and verse on the unfortunate incidents that occurred there. The re-enactments [history as entertainment] were not filmed on-site; USP-Atlanta is still a working penitentiary, and eschews cameras.

The episode is entitled “Prison Siege.” It details the events at Oakdale, Louisiana, in November 1987, and the 1991 riot in another detention center in Talladega, Alabama. My rhetorical overview should not be confused with facts.

I was shocked at how those participants in the interviews have aged. Then it struck me; that incident occurred almost 20 years ago. The past softens with time. I’m showing my age by being amazed that history I lived is now fodder for the revisionism of the merciless TV cameras. I never thought I was living in history, so let that be a lesson to you’uns. No amount of book-learning will prepare you for the moment when things start happening fast.

Should any of my constant readers desire chapter and verse on the Marielitos, they need look no further than The History Channel website. I will be there myself, doing grudging research into the fact that some of those unfortunates are still trapped in the labyrinth of the federal prison system.

Criminals deserve to be locked up, and terrorists have no rights by our Constitution, despite the ACLU’s assertions. Despite this, the Marielitos deserve a second look, no matter how the world diverts us with yet another Middle East War.

By the way:

I know that I have a few readers who have never commented on my mutterings. The super-secret website technology tells me so. I now want to pose a question to the world at large:

Why do people hate Jews?

I’ve heard it all before, from “Jews eat Christian babies and use them for blood sacrifice on Passover” to the more moderate “Rothschild Banking-World Domination” conspiracy theories to my own fundies’ assertion that “they killed Christ!”

Okay. What’s left of my mind is open. Let me hear it again. Don’t be shy; I will not delete replies that are kept family-friendly. I am a serious Christian; I don’t get it. If you are a skinheaded European surrender monkey, or a towel-wrapped Islamic cleric, don’t be shy. Inquiring minds want to know.

WHAT’S YOUR PROBLEM WITH THE JEWS?

It’s a simple question, and one that I have never understood. I will tolerate any reply, no matter how outrageous I might personally consider it, if only some enlightened person will explain things to my simple self. Tell me again, I’ve heard it all before: WHY ARE WE SUPPOSED TO HATE JEWS?

I will entertain all points of view on this question. I really want to know. Keep it family-friendly, and jump in, please.

5 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

"I know that I have a few readers who have never commented on my mutterings. The super-secret website technology tells me so."

Pretty nifty software, huh?
(You're welcome)

But why do people hate the Jews? I think you'll find that it was preordained; look it up in your handy KJV, NIV...etc.

August 02, 2006 12:36 AM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Every schoolyard reason in the world would be cause to hate the Jews:
-They're different
-They are achievers
-They dress funny(less true these days..)
-They have more money than me
-They're teacher's pets
-What's with those beanies?

Then there're the reasons you mention-religious ones. Then there are the simple racist ones-see Cynthia McKinney or David Duke.Let's face it, for different reasons (depending upon whether they're Christian or Muslim) backward people are taught from an early age that Jews are near-subhuman.

And finally, back to the school yard, the Chosen People? Choose this!

August 02, 2006 5:33 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

A fine question. Almost as good as that is the slightly deeper one of why does any group of folks decide they can't stand another? All over the world, every day, we see the results. Wars and rumors of wars (we could use more of the rumor, less of the actual variety) but all because...
"I'm better then you"
"God likes us best"
"God hates you and yours"
"You're an idiot and I'm not"
"My color is more pleasing to God than yours"
"You're Jewish"
"You're gay"
"You're liberal"
"Whatever, I just don't like you"
The list is endless, damned tower of Babel, screwed everything up.
Go figure

August 02, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger MargeinMI said...

I've never understood it either. Personally, I rather admire them.

August 02, 2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Jack, I see numerous Biblical prophecies that say the Jews will be reviled and persecuted in the End Times, but there is no detailing of the rationalization behind the persecutions. In the context of our times, with Israel struggling for almost 60 years to stay alive and make peace with their neighbors, why the ongoing acrimony?

Beerme and Boberin are sort of on track with their observations. I'm hoping for some really rabid anti-Semitic comments, so we can all appreciate the true nature of the enemy we all face. I may have to redefine the question in a future post.

Marge, some of my closest friends and confidants are Jewish. To reiterate what I said a while back, I have never been grievously wronged by a Jew. On the other hand, white "Christians" have brought plenty of misery into my life, one way or another.

August 02, 2006 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home