Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Rock on!



I surprised at least one individual with the revelation that I have a professed affinity for Johnny Rotten and The Sex Pistols. I am also on record as getting some serious hoots from headbangers like Megadeth.

So, I'm up at 0400 to watch another re-run of "The Last Waltz." I get the satellite feed from the Left Coast, owing to the geography of my mountain hideaway. All the best movies are on in the middle of the night.

I should just buy the deluxe 4-CD boxed set, and treat myself when I'm in the mood for rock & roll.

There is something with peculiar hippie appeal to waking up pre-dawn, and catching a broadcast of Martin Scorsese's classic. I don't think a concert film with better production values has ever been made. Watching Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters rocking a stage with The Band is an event that lasts. I'm leaving a lot of folks off the list of guests, like Neil Young and my drumming role model, Ringo. The Band had everyone onstage for that last show. Great musicianship is appreciated.

I also like the "old school" of arena rockers like Blue Oyster Cult. I played the drums for a few minutes, hence the picture. The best band I ever played with featured a guitarist who sawed his leg off with a chainsaw. Seriously. We even got written up in Newsweek in 1988, as part of the long-lost Southern rock culture. Tim has a great sense of humor, and never let the loss of his leg be more than a passing joke. I'd like to reunite The Nobz, but we're scattered to fate's four winds.

I have come to appreciate classical music, especially the passion of Russian composers who captured so much pain. Neil Young, Clapton, "Buck Dharma" and Robbie Robertson can rip off guitar riffs that'll bring tears to your eyes, but there's something exalting about an orchestra going full-tilt boogie.

7 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

Yes, I'm at least one person...and so am I.

August 22, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 23, 2006 12:33 AM  
Blogger camojack said...

You said, regarding in a prior post ("Anarchy in the U.K.!"):
"I surprised at least one individual with the revelation that I have a professed affinity for Johnny Rotten and The Sex Pistols."

And I said, in response:
"Anarchy in the U.K.!? Apt, but I would never have pegged you as a Sex Pistols fan."

August 23, 2006 12:34 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

I'm still confuzzled, but that's a perpetual state of mind.

Yeah, I like the Sex Pistols, Blue Oyster Cult, and Russian classicists. I also list Emerson, Lake & Palmer among my favorites, because there is nothing sweeter than a piano well-played.

As a rock star, Keith Emerson did more to get me hip to classical music than all the "music appreciation" classes my high school ever threw at me.

Megadeth is still pretty cool, too.

August 23, 2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Nylecoj said...

Is music a guy thing? I like music but most of the folks I know that are really into it are guys. BTW is there anything you have not done?

August 23, 2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Yeah, I failed at two marriages, and I am constantly amazed that my children grew up relatively unscathed.

The movie and rock & roll stuff was merely drinking deeply from the cup of life. Given my horrible track record with personal relationships, I'm grateful that I had a little fun along the way.

August 23, 2006 12:55 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Possum, you continue to amaze!

I was enjoying the Punk scene in the late seventies, getting into fights with the local punk-wannabies in Detroit at Bookies and other venues. "Never Mind the Bollucks" was somewhat of a revelation for me and many others at the time. It was a frenzied piece of immediacy that could never be sustained and will never be recreated. Never really got into a punk lifestyle, though. I was always a greaser with certain hippie tendencies...

August 23, 2006 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home