Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Goodbye, Croc Hunter

I had a fine archival photo of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. Lost in a long-dead computer, it's a great action shot of this intrepid young man hoisting a deadly serious snake by its tail.

I am shocked and saddened by this untimley passing. I always got creepy twitches when he would grab a reptile, but that's a question of guts. Mr. Irwin never had a shortage of those; snakes and similar critters scare me to death. I survive Mr. Irwin by a score of years, but only because I refuse to touch a live snake.

His death is a fluke of the worst sort. Stingrays have killed fewer than 20 people since records have been kept.

Rumor is, Australia plans a state funeral. I hope so; this gutsy guy deserves no less.

What follows is actual quotes from the Croc Hunter:

"Crikey means gee whiz, wow!"

"When I see what's happened all over the world, they're looking at me as this very popular, wildlife warrior, Australian bloke. And yet back here in my own country some people find me a little bit embarrassing."

"Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building."

"I bled a lot. I got hit across the face. We couldn't film for seven days. I got whacked, underwater, across the face. I finished the shot, got into the boat and blood started coming out."

"I get called an adrenaline junkie every other minute, and I'm fine with that."

"I have no fear of losing my life. If I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it."

"I would never blame an animal if it bit me, because I'm at fault, not them. I heal so quickly. If you cut my arm off I would grow a new one."

"I'm high as a kite, mate. I'm flat out like a lizard drinking, all the time. You know I have trouble just sitting here. You know, I'm just like, got to get up."

I hope this fine lad gets a state funeral.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Crikey, mate! What a disaster!

(Oh, and I don't get too excited reptiles either.)

Regards...

September 05, 2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

He was one of a kind, even for an Aussie!

September 05, 2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger camojack said...

"I'm flat out like a lizard drinking..."

I've always wondered what Crocodile Dundee said in that one barroom scene...and that's it!

September 06, 2006 2:42 AM  
Blogger boberin said...

He was one cool dude, such a shame. But, I guess if he had gotten to choose a way to die this would have been right up there, perhaps not so soon but still, right up there.
Bully for him

Hey possum, send e-mails to boberinmarcy@verizon.net
and lose the work address, it does not apply any more (to me at least)

September 08, 2006 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home