Friday, August 17, 2007

The mine [going underground]

I have been withholding comment on the Huntington, Utah mine disaster, hoping for a favorable outcome. Like the Sago, if even one man walks away, it is a victory.

I’m a claustrophobic wimp. I have been spelunking under the University of The South in Sewanee, Tennessee, going into Harry Clarke’s cave at the foot of the mountain in Roarke’s Cove, where a small party of friends has agreed to meet in case of nuclear holocaust. Going into that cavern, and edging past the underground river, required conquest of fears that I didn’t even know existed. I stood outside “The Mud Room” and turned my headlight off to see absolute darkness. Total, pitch black. The river runs through it, and there was still the roar of the water in the oblivion of total underground black-out. It was the most frightening two minutes I can think of. I think I’d rather take my chances with thermonuclear weapons on the surface.

My initial reaction to this mine owner, Murray, was “we’ll be seeing you in handcuffs PDQ”. He does not play well on TV. He should shut up with the excuses, and concentrate on the mine.

Three would-be rescuers died last night. This is turning into a nightmare. One doesn’t have to be military personnel to be a hero. Anyone who goes underground to earn a living is far braver than I can begin to imagine. Two minutes with lights out had me squirming. Truth be told, I wanted to scream and flee. I mastered my fear, but that total darkness is not something I’ll ever opt for again. When my time comes, I’d just as soon be staring at open sky.

I pray that someone will walk away from the deepest mine collapse in recent history.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's hopeless that any of those men would be alive, it seems cold to not have hope. But there you have it. It's possible but so remote that it would be a gift.

August 17, 2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Hey Possum,

I'm with you on the praying thing. This disaster is turning into a real nightmare. I hope the trapped miners lived long enough to justify the loss of 3 more lives. I mean, can imagine the heartache of losing 3 more lives if the trapped miners were all killed instantly in the initial collapse? What a tragedy.

August 17, 2007 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of my ancestors were Welch Coalminers . I guess I didn't get that gene.My name should be "Phobia". I don't like tight spaces ,high spaces,and my deoderant fails when cars and trucks are whizzing by each side of my car,especially if I am trying to make a left turn. I can't swim , so I never go on the water,unless it is a ferry.Funny thing is ,my kids do it all.
I get enough excitement watching other folks have all that fun.
I'm afraid this mine thing is tragedy on top of tragedy. And I agree ,they are heroes.

August 17, 2007 7:04 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Just last summer I finally tried the cave thing at Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. That dark is dark!

I pray for those miners. Most of my father's family were miners back in the day. He opted for the Hillbilly Highway and factory jobs in Michigan, instead. Probably the best reason he lived until 72 years of age...

August 17, 2007 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you probably recall, I explore caves for "funsies"...

August 20, 2007 2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home