Monday, June 01, 2009

Say good night, Jay...

Seventeen years ago, I plugged in a new-fangled device called a VCR, and said good-night to Johnny Carson. Friday night, I guess I established an old-folk’s tradition by saying good-night to Jay Leno.

I guess it boils down to a variation on the cliché question: “Elvis or The Beatles?” In this case, it would be “Leno or Letterman?” I’m more a “Dave” kinda guy, even if our politics don’t agree. (I’m usually asleep or in some meth-frenzy insomniac movie-mode by 11:30 at night, but that’s beside the point. I sit up at 0430 in the morning to watch stuff like “Komodo vs. Cobra” because I can’t sleep, not because I think there’s any inherent cinematic value in it.)

Mr. Leno bowed out gracefully. I got a clue that I might have been missing some amusing stuff all these years when he ran the “Best of Jaywalking” segment. The gang of kids at the end of the show was cool. Johnny Carson had a dark side, but Leno always seemed upfront. After Carson, I always considered “The Tonight Show” to be light-hearted entertainment, no matter whose case Leno was on during the monologue.

Jay Leno has one of the best car collections in the Western World. His appearances on gearhead shows like “Rides” and “Overhaulin’” were always good-natured and built good will. At the same time, I always got the impression that Mr. Leno would never really drive those cars fast.

I don’t know how many vehicles David Letterman owns, but he’s on record as a speed merchant, especially during the commute from Connecticut to The Big Apple. I’m on record as an unreconstructed speed-demon, too. Perhaps it’s this outlaw spirit that takes one over in the wee hours of the morning that makes me a “Dave” guy instead of a “Jay” guy.

I doubt I’ll watch Jay’s new prime-time show, if it comes to fruition. Between trash programming and commercials, I watch little network TV, opting for junk movies or endless re-runs on The History Channel or MTV—Military TV, not the other guys—rock ‘n roll died about the time I drove my Chevy into the levee, and all that.

You did well, Mr. Leno. You showed grace and style, and you transcended the network office politics. You carved your legacy, and don’t need to work again. Go out and drive some of those hot rods really fast in the darkest hours of the morning, when the roads are empty. You deserve it.

2 Comments:

Blogger camojack said...

I take it Leno is retiring from "The Tonight Show".

Most of my television viewing involves watching movies, too...

June 01, 2009 7:09 PM  
Blogger Beerme said...

Supposedly, Leno has always worked-during his tenure as Tonight Show host-once a week or so at diverse and sundry comedy houses, doing stand-up routines to keep sharp. Also, all during his famous tenure, he supposedly has never spent a penny of the money he made as the host, supporting himself on the play money he made as a stand-up comic. Don't know the truth of it but I admire the guy...

June 05, 2009 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home