Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Sammy's eulogy

I re-titled the previous post. It was really an obituary, not a eulogy. I was reminded that a eulogy is what you say at the funeral, and an obituary is a death notice and brief history of the deceased. What I wrote the day after Sammy died was an obituary.

What I said over his grave, with others in attendance, was as follows:

“While wasting my time one day, the Jehovahs became quite adamant that animals don't have souls, and are not candidates for Heaven. I told them this…

There was a feller and his dog. They were out riding in his pickup truck one day, and got into a fatal wreck.

So, this feller and his dog turned up at The Pearly Gates. St. Peter was on a break, but the angel at the desk checked his list and told the man he was expected. As the man started to enter Heaven, the angel stopped him. ‘You can come in,’ the angel said, ‘but dogs aren't allowed.’

The man scratched his head and sighed. ‘I guess we'll just walk on for a while,’ he informed the gate keeper.

The man and his dog wandered along for a while on the periphery of Heaven, and eventually came to another gate. St. Peter rose to greet them. ‘We've been waiting for y'all,’ he announced.

The man pointed back the way they'd come. ‘Yes, but that angel at the other gate said no dogs are allowed in Heaven.’

St. Peter waved his hand. ‘Oh, that was just a test. You see, if anyone tried to enter Heaven without their dog, we wouldn't let them in.’

I’ll see you later, Sammy. I know you’ll be waiting by the gate.”

I miss my dog. It's too quiet around Scorpion Hill.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hawkeye® said...

Excellent eulogy Possum! And again, my condolences.

April 15, 2010 7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home